early 70's heresy's

howardnair

have been given a pair of 1970's vintage heresy speakers -drivers and horns are fine -the boxes are in need of rebuild-are there any changes mods etc-ie; cabinet dampening etc--recommendations for caps--that being said --having never had the opportunity to hear klipsch anything--i am impressed with these even in their slightly battered state-using them with a bottlehead stereomour amp--a very pleasant suprise--thanks howie

howardnair,

Very cool gift you have received.

Before doing anything to mod the heresys, I would restore the crossovers to factory spec. (or as close as reasonably possible) By now the caps have been shot for years and deserve a respectful funeral. Bob Crites, BEC, on this forum is the only person I know who provides service toward this goal. I was blown away by the improvement this made to my vintage Klipsch speakers. There are other folks who do offer mods and high end caps, but the price will be substantially higher.

You can find Bob's caps in kit form on Ebay if you're a diy type. If you would prefer turn key service, he can do the restore and return them to you.

disclaimer: if you should decide to do business with Bob, he won't give me a dang thing.

new caps will arrive tomorrow-clarity and mundorf caps--i am building new boxes --the only change/mod will be 1 inch baltic birch cabinets-same size internally--wrapped in birdseye maple veneer with rounded bloodwood corners for a little razmataz!!--after reading what i could find on this forum it seems best to leave the speakers as designed--otherwise they would not be a heresy --thanks howie