I Need Help

CIGARBUM

I have an old sub woofer and old reciever that I would like to get working. These are in my downstairs shop and wondering what it would sound like. Can someone tell me where to plug what wires where, I have no manual and can't remember where they ever went. I thing you can see from the pictures what kid of equipment it is.

All help will be appreciated. Thanks

Cigarbum

post-32367-13819640044212_thumb.jpg

I don't see all the pre-outs in the pics but I'll assume there's no "sub out" connection. If you can play the front and rears simultaneoulsy and they carry the same information, you can just run speaker wires from the rear channel output to the sub's amp.

Ok here is how I would do it:

I see your receiver has A and B front outputs.

If these can both be played at the same time, leave the A on your speakers, and run the B to the High level inputs on your subwoofer.

If they cannot be run simultaneously, I would run the center pre-out to the low-level input on the sub and plug it into the left speaker.

Either of these should get it going for you.

Yeah the center would be my last option (unless you can set it to "big" on the receiver, then it should get the same base as left and right.

If running A and B at the same time lowers to ohms, you may have another option. If the receiver lets you run multi channel stereo, and you set the Rears to big, you can run them like B speakers. But if you can run A and B together, it is the best option.

Well, I have put about every wire that I have into about every place I can put on both the reciever and the sub, It don't work.

Next step is to be sube the sub is working, how do you determine that,the red light comes on when you power it up. Got any other ideas? Need any more pictures?

Thanks

Cigarbum

You need to find another input for the sub. Do you have a CD player with milti channel out? You can run a cable (RCA) from the sub out on the CD player to the sub input and see if you get anything. Or, you could always drag it over to your 2 channel rig (that you know works), remove the speaker wire from your L or R and hook it to the sub at the high level input.

Tip of the day.......when dealing with active subwoofers.....some of them won't work correclty (don't turn on) when plugged into a surge protector. The surge protector filters out the signal that the sub sense from the amp, that tells the sub to turn on....the sub will remain in stadby mode.....the fix is to plug the amp and the sub on the same pair of outlets on your strip...if that does not work....plug your sub into the back of the amp if it has outlets and can handle the power rating....if that does not work....plug the amp and sub into a normal outlet.