Klipschorn with JBL 2440/375 drivers and 2405 or 2402 tweeter

caoutchouc

I have not made this comparison, but, since you are mentioning Hartsfields, every Hartsfield I've heard had weak bass compared to a Klipschorn ... this might mean that if you can get just the right crosover network, the JBL speakers + a Klipschorn bass bin might be better balanced than a Hartsfield. As far as the midrange and tweeter components are concerned, the JBLs always sounded wonderfully clear, but a bit too prominent in the midrange. On old Lps the bass was often shaved off to get more music on the record, so both the Hartsfields and the Klipschorns sounded like there was too much midrange with that program material. The JBL theater systems (the big 4 woofer per channel fully horn loaded ones used with Todd-AO) sounded terrific with the magnetic soundtracks. They sometimes used a pair of 375s for each of the 5 channels behind the deeply curved Todd-AO screen (the surround used lesser speakers, but many of them, up the side walls of the theater). With the very early (1955) Todd-AO JBL systems (and the early Hartsfields) they didn't bother wiht a super tweeter, because the public was not thought to appreciate the ultra highs, and the 375 did O.K. to 12KHz. It turns out that there was an abundance of overtones on those old movie magnetic soundtracks that can now be appreciated. As people began to get better, lower distortion, phono cartridges in their home systems, JBL extended the high end of the frequency response of their home speakers, then followed suit with theater systems. With modern recordings, or with good reel-to-reel tapes of the past, Klipschorns without modifications sound well balanced to me. Back when the 075 (like the 2402) was used with the JBLs (Hartsfields, Paragon), I heard many times that the Klipsch K-77 (in the stock Klipschorn) was smoother, with wider dispersion at the top (but not too wide ...). JBL may have overcome this with the 2405. I once heard a JBL Paragon (with 375s & 075s) flanked by Klipschorns in an AB test. Both sounded damn good, and both had their points. The people there with me said they would be happy with either. To me, the Klipschorns seemed perhps a little warmer, with a bit more bass, while the Paragon seemed colder, but still great!. The Klipschorns sounded more spacious, but then they were farther apart.

Thanks for your reply, in fact by the past I owned several Altec and JBL's speakers : S8R Olympus , S8/4320, DD55000 Everest, Voice of Theather with 15 multicellulars horns... Today I have a second hifi system with 4343, they sounded great, perhaps more smooth than the horns.With the horns (or the 4343) I used Audio Research SP10 or SP15 preamplifiers and Mc Intosh Mc2600 or 2500. You're right, the Horns have a great bass, I try 2402 and 2402 but I must made few little mofications on the crossover because they sound too loud.

Perhaps the good solution is to use another crossover, the Bob Crites or the ALK models. Have you heard these models? I have the AA II model.

Regards. Pascal

Perhaps the good solution is to use another crossover, the Bob Crites or the ALK models. Have you heard these models? I have the AA II model.

Regards. Pascal

I wonder if Bob Crites could make you a custom crossover for whatever driver/horns you choose to combine with the Klipschorn bass bin, with whatever crossover points and slopes you predict would be ideal? I don't know if he does this kind of custom work. Anyway, if you decide to try it you could call it "Pascal's Wager."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_Wager

I have a pair of 2004 Khorns that employ the JBL 2482 midrange, the JBL 2404 tweeter using AL K steep slope crossover and Dave Harris's mid range eliptical tractrix horn. The JBL 2440 driver cannot dig deep enough for the Khorn bass bin (IMHO). I cross their 2482 at 400Hz and at 5800 Hz which is well within the 2482 performance criteria. Not having heard much of the JBL upper range product I cannot compare the performance. But I have owned several versions of Khorns and this configuration is quite satisfying.