C220 or C22 ??

I'm trying to decide on a pre amp for my 2 channel system. I came across a lightly used like new Mac.C220

When I ran this past Paul at TAD he is telling me I would be better off with a Mac. C22

Building on K-horns with a LaScala center trip Hibachi 2 Mono blocks

One review on the amps

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ramps&1295202119&openflup&13&4

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I have tried a c22, a c2200, a c220, a c46 and a mx117. I stayed with a refurbished c11 with telefunken tubes (thanks Noah). All have strengths but I "live in midrange" and the c11 does it best. In the c22xx Question I prefer the c22, closest to the c11. As a previous poster mentioned a pair of mc75s is the way to go.

I want to try a center with one of my LaScalas or a heresy? To try and do it with three Mac mono blocks blows the budget.
My thought was to start with the Hibachis - new 1150 for the three. If I can live with out the center I can upgrade to MC-75
at some point down the road. For now I just want to get the Pre amp right.

Thanks for the input.
--R--

C22 with either MC30s or 60s. Hard to go wrong with ANY of these vintage Mac pres: C11, 20, 22 or MX110, and for that matter MC30, 60, 225, 240, 275. As much as I like tube rectification I do like the C22 and MX110 very much, and the vintage Mac preamps in concert with the vintage Mac amps is a display in tonality found in very few places. I am very partial to the MC30 and MC60.....the only Mac amps that are tube rectified and when properly tweaked sing like no other, and especially with Mac preamps of the era.

I have an MX110/MC30/Belle Klipsch system core, thoroughly and particularly rebuilt, and the only way I can think of improving the electronics would be a C22. The manner of rebuild means a LOT, especially on horns....

The catch with any of the vintage Mac pres is to find examples with switches and such in best condition, then have it serviced for top performance. Once done, you'll want another one you can steal parts from, because you'll never want to part with it. I have another system with newer components but that will never substitute for the vintage Mac.

I would put the LaScala between the KHorns if I were to try it with a center mix, doubt the Heresy would be robust enough to be of much help. You are fine doing the pre with a trio of amps you have access to now and changing amps later if necessary. The preamp will do a lot to move you in that "sonic direction" - the best match in amps is the icing on the cake. Who knows....the trio you plan to use might do very well.