IR In & Out

kde

Does anyone use the IR In & Out plugs on their Processor / AVR?

Specifically, how do I hook up my remote to operate the UMC-1 behind a closed case via the IR In or Out? I am in the market for a new remote and looking at the MX-450 (however it is RF and requires a separate RF unit). I have used Niles equipment before, but looking for less wires and a clean user friendly operation.

The MX-450 is actually IR and RF, the RF (radio frequency) capability allows signals to travel through walls, cabinets, etc without the remote needing to be pointed directly at the IR sensor. The main functionality is still actually being done with IR however.

With your MX-450's RF base station that you buy extra, it will have outputs which you can use to plug a cable from the base station to the IR input on your UMC-1 (you will need to buy a cable if you want to use the IR inputs). The RF base station comes with special cables that have IR transmitters on one end and a mini RCA jack on the other. Buying a cable and using the IR input is definitely a nicer cleaner connection. There are several ways to wire and use the RF features so hidden components operate by the remote.

With a URC RF capable remote the remote sends both IR and RF, the IR works normal, the RF is received by the RF base station which then blasts strong IR in many directions and also has a number of IR cable outputs which can be either used with IR inputs (you will need to purchase a cable) or the supplied cables which have IR transmitters on one end of the cable. The supplied cables with IR transmitters have a sticky to place the IR transmitter over the IR receiver of a component.

The RF base stations IR blast is also often strong enough to send the IR signals throughout an enclosed cabinet where the base station is located without the need for IR cables to components.

To ensure that I understand, my steps would be the following: 1. get remote, 2. get RF base station, 3. hook up RF base station inside my enclosed rack (plug power cable into socket) and then let IR blast signal other components.

What is the benefit of getting a special cable to plug the unit into the UMC IR slot? Would this just make the UMC the IR blaster versus the base station?

The RF base station will blast a strong IR signal in several directions, as long as this IR signal reaches all your components then no cables will be needed, you can try different placements to find the best location for the RF base station, the IR signal can bounce off some surfaces and sort of ricochet around inside of a cabinet.

However if you have a component that the IR signal does not reach, maybe a shelve blocks the IR signal or maybe you are using a cabinet that has separate sections or even multiple cabinets, then you can use cables to reach the components that the base stations IR blaster does not reach.

Basically there are two types of cables which can be used with the RF base station.

One type of cable has a mini RCA plug on one end and a small IR signal blaster on the other, the IR blaster is usually placed over the IR signal receiver of the component so this type of cable works for any component. These are the type of cables normally supplied with an RF base station, usually six of these cables are supplied.

The other type of cable that can be used will have a mini RCA on both ends. With this type the component must have an IR input jack on the back so that the cable can be plugged into the component. These are the nicest type to use however this type can only be used when a component has an IR input jack.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I would like to use an harmony 890 remote with my new Pioneer VSX-1021 receiver. But instead of using IR emmiters, I would like to use the IR in & out on the back of the receiver.

Does someone knows if it makes any difference if I use a stereo to stereo jack 1/8" cable instead of a mono to mono jack 1/8" cable?

Thanks