How much this Scala worths?

Arash

So you're currently in Iran, correct? If so, get the speakers and enjoy building new cabinets!

yes thats right... I'm in Iran right now... and I'm gonna buy it and make new cabinets

tnx for your suggestion

as I'm from Iran . . .

Hello arash,

Where are you located now?

If you're in Iran, the existing modified speakers are much more valuable to you than if you've moved "from Iran" to the US. Your opportunities to get intact La Scalas would be greater in the US.

you know what, there are a group of DIYers in Iran who love sound... love Lamp Amps... love horny sound... they spend thuasends of $ to earn what they love but none of them has a Klipsch (LS, Klipschorn, Cornwall, belle ...)

i can relate....i love "horny sound" too.

today i went and took them from my friend... when I opened the
cabinet and bring out the parts I couldn't believe what I saw... All the
parts in Best shape... i can say "Best of best Well-conserved scalas
ever... I don't think any klipsch speaker which is built before 1990 is
better than this... crossovers shine... drivers are as if came outta
boxes right now... only woofer is a bit dusty... whan I played a music a
huge dust raised up... sound was incredible... blowing out

hi Arash,

my cat comes from your country!

more to the point, it's difficult to give an idea of the value of those "scala" but there's different things worth knowing:

1) second-hand klipsch parts and speakers are NOT expensive and the market is flooded with them so it can't be an argument for pricing those speakers too high, since the most valuable part was the... original LaScala enclosure.

2) you should try to know what crossover is inside. Any stock klipsch LaScala crossovers could only give bad, or so-so results in a speaker that they were not designed for (not getting into details here, but basically you have to compensate for the woofer's loss of efficiency since it's not horn-loaded anymore, and the smaller midrange horn asks for a different (higher) x-over frequency than the original K400 horn. A Cornwall network would probably work.

3) that midrange horn (is it really wooden?) looks good and probably sounds good too if it's been implemented correctly

4)the real LaScala is "bass-shy" because it uses a short horn for the woofer. The K33 woofer in a vented box like here shouldn't be bass-shy.

5)who built the enclosures? are they well made / heavy? do they resonate when you crank the volume up?

6)those flat-diaphragm Technics are only cool if you like to collect 80's vintage pieces of equipment, but there's just no way you can use them to "support" the Klipsch (hell, they're so inefficient, if you connect them together with the klipsch on the same amp you wouldn't even hear them, and btw don't do that kind of things most amps don't like it)

hope this helps.

hi Arash,

my cat comes from your country!

more to the point, it's difficult to give an idea of the value of those "scala" but there's different things worth knowing:

1) second-hand klipsch parts and speakers are NOT expensive and the market is flooded with them so it can't be an argument for pricing those speakers too high, since the most valuable part was the... original LaScala enclosure.

2) you should try to know what crossover is inside. Any stock klipsch LaScala crossovers could only give bad, or so-so results in a speaker that they were not designed for (not getting into details here, but basically you have to compensate for the woofer's loss of efficiency since it's not horn-loaded anymore, and the smaller midrange horn asks for a different (higher) x-over frequency than the original K400 horn. A Cornwall network would probably work.

3) that midrange horn (is it really wooden?) looks good and probably sounds good too if it's been implemented correctly

4)the real LaScala is "bass-shy" because it uses a short horn for the woofer. The K33 woofer in a vented box like here shouldn't be bass-shy.

5)who built the enclosures? are they well made / heavy? do they resonate when you crank the volume up?

6)those flat-diaphragm Technics are only cool if you like to collect 80's vintage pieces of equipment, but there's just no way you can use them to "support" the Klipsch (hell, they're so inefficient, if you connect them together with the klipsch on the same amp you wouldn't even hear them, and btw don't do that kind of things most amps don't like it)

hope this helps.

Hi KanedaK... first I appreciate you to spend time on posting reply

persian cats are very lovely with a special kind of looking...

1- you're right about the second-rate parts in market... but you are in U.S and I'm in Iran (needless to say Iran is under sanctions) ... there is no way to post big and heavy thing from US to Iran... so considering this I think they worth

2- the crossovers are type AA and are is well condition... (does anyone know which year model was this scala considering type AA crossover?)

3- horn is wooden but its small and I thing I should replace them

4- you mean putting woofer as could be seen in the pictures can make whole the system make more bass sound? so why Klipsch didn't modify the design? now they sound horrible... sound like what my original scala (I have a pair of un-modified scala)... so the sound is good

5- about technics (panasonic:Japan) are good ... but not best like heritage klipschs... they sound very good... tribble is good but not detailed like klipsch... mid-range as well... bass is very good and loader than klipsch but some kinda cheam sounding that can't be compared with klipsch more than 100dB speakers... but when connect them with scala the bass of technics give the scala more effective magic :D

tnx concerning

Hi Arash,

what I meant was from what I see the speakers are not useable as they are (the AA crossovers just can't be used to good results in such a configuration, for many reasons) BUT if the parts are in good shape and you can build the enclosure over there (you need someone who's an experienced woodworker) I'd say go for it.

That said, one thing you CANNOT use is the midrange horn. In a LaScala, the midrange horn has to reproduce the range between 400 and 6000Hz. You need a bigger midrange horn than the one in the pictures. I don't know what you can find over there in Iran, but two good examples (if you can't find klipsch K400 horn) are Altec 511B horn, or Electro Voice SM120A horns. Both sound actually much better than the klipsch midrange horn.

Good luck and keep us posted!

BTW, you could also build a Cornwall: the enclosure is much easier to build, it gives deeper bass, and you could use those nice-looking midrange horns (the x-over frequency for the midrange is higher in a Cornwall, so you can use a smaller horn). But then, you'd need a Cornwall network. You could not use the AA network. (you can probably find the schematics and build them urself).