Dual Paradigm PW-2200 Question

Talon-TSI

I was wondering if anyone has, or has heard a dual Paradigm PW-2200 system? I am seriously considering these subs, and living in Canada, they are a very attractively priced competetive sub. I have a fairly large basement, and being a bit of a basshead I am thinking 2 would be required to reach the db levels that would impress me.

The Paradigm and the SVS subs are basically the only ones I've really looked into, so I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to what dual Paradigm PW-2200's would compare to in the SVS line? Shipping and exchange rate is what is killing the possibility of getting SVS subs, but I would like to know what this potential setup would stack up to. Thanx in advance.

Dan

I own a single PW2200 and price was a consideration also being from Canada. I can say with some certainty that the PW2200 is no garbage can. The bass is tight and musical yet has the range for effective HT. A second PW220 will increase the output by 6db. That may not sound like much but is actually quite substantial.

Certainly the SVS line is no slouch and does not take a back seat to the PW2200, however, for the money you just can't even come close to the PW2200 and their output will rival the SVS.

Regards,

Stu

f>

------------------

'81 Cornwall 1 mains B2 Crossover

'73 Heresy Centre

'78 Heresy Surrounds

Paradigm PW2200 Sub Subwoofer

Marantz SR8000 AV Receiver

Hitachi 53" RPTV 53SBX59B

The PW2200 compare very well to SVS(CS)subs in output.

One PW2200 is often plenty for even a larger room,but if you are a bass freak you will want two.

And besides dollar for dollar no other sub gives you as much(Canadian dollars here).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Thanks guys, its nice to know I had the right idea.

Stu, 6 more db for a 2nd sub? That is impressive. Its odd, I'm more knowledgable about Car Audio, and there, it seems 3db is like doubling your power. Recently I've been reading into Home Theatre, and just like you say, 6db seems to be doubling your output. Gonna have to look into that. Thanks for your info on your experience with the PW-2200.

Ear, thanks also, your knowledge/experience with subwoofers scares me cwm4.gif From what little I've heard from/about you, you have one heck of a collection.

Talon:

I'm no electrical engineer nor "expert" at much that audio involves. It's my understanding that moving twice as much air results in a 6db gain. Add a second sub and you do move twice as much air (which is of course how sound is generated).

You are correct that doubling the power to a speaker or speakers results in only a 3db gain.

Regards,

Stuf>

------------------

'81 Cornwall 1 mains B2 Crossover

'73 Heresy Centre

'78 Heresy Surrounds

Paradigm PW2200 Sub Subwoofer

Marantz SR8000 AV Receiver

Hitachi 53" RPTV 53SBX59B

yea like stu says that's a physics given. of course though w/ the stipulations that the 2 sub sources don't cancel each other out any w/ the room. iow, 2 subs right next to each other or stacked in a corner should pretty much do the +6db.

of couse that's just the bass quantity side. quality is the other side & why some people put 2 subs apart & even away from corners. everybody has dif ears, rooms, set-ups so lot of variables working here. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Seb, yeah thats what I've been starting to hear, $670 Canadian plus tax, sounds good to me. Still may be interesting to see what their first quote is when I stop into a local shop.

Stu, that is starting to shed some more light on that. I guess it was the wording that threw me off there.

I was wondering why some people just piled their subs (when they have more than 1) into the same corner sometimes. Granted bass is omnidirectional (I think thats the word) and the corner loading helps output, but it goes against my urge to pair off speaker sets equally, one on either side of room. Gonna have to play with different setups.

Talon,

people stack subs to make their lives easier.

when you place subwoofers at two different locations in a room, they start to interact with each others, and you run the risk of having some bass frequencies reinforced and others cancelled.

however, and if you use A LOT of patience, maybe a computer program or two, and careful experimentations, you can also place subwoofers in different spots of your room so that their interaction is beneficial, meaning it will alleviate some cancellation/reinforcement issues you had while using only one sub. you will also need luck for this, and there probably is no perfect combination.

therefore, if you really wish to tackle standing waves and iterference issues, my approach would be to stack the subs in the middle of the front wall or in the back, somewhere symetrical like that, to ensure that there will be no directionality issue (some people claim that bass is still directional under 80Hz, and since the crossover in your receiver is progressive, even if it is at 80Hz or lower, you will still have a good deal of above-80Hz, directional material playing through the sub), and then use a parametric equalizer to smooth out the peaks (NOT boost the nulls, that could be harmful/demanding to your subs' amps).

of course, that's no easy or cheap approach, and an even better one would be to use big speakers at all locations (center, left/right, surrounds) and use an adjustable xover at a setting much lower than 80Hz, say 60Hz, which would then mean no directional bass through the saub, then stack them in a corner, then use the parametric equalizer approach.

I have no experience with car audio, but my guess is there are much less issues with standing waves in such a small environment!

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection