Doubts with Klipsch Quintet 4

Hello,

I have purchased the Quintet 4 (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5250432&CatId=4596).

I connected all the speakers to the respective 5 channel outputs from my DVD player. But, I'm getting a song output from only 2 speakers. I played an audio CD

(Individually, the speakers work fine. So, at the outset, the speakers are ok. )

I'm trying to diagnose the issue here:

a. Is it possible that the DVD player's 5 channel output is not working? And, that it is producing a 2 channel output?

b. Is it the CD's output which is not 5 channel? Though it is an audio CD, is it possible that its bit rate is low and producing a 5 channel output?

c. Is there something else I need to do? Like buy an amplifier or something?

Thanks for your help. Any problem solving/trouble shooting will help.

Regards,

Sagar

What type of connections (connectors) did you use to connect the speakers to the DVD player?

I never heard of connecting unpowered speakers directly to a DVD player.

Every DVD is different. Most have a menu you can access to set the sound to 2 Ch., 5.1, Dolby, DTS, etc.

The player itself will have a menu system as well that should allow you to configure a few items. Those should include the type of audio system and TV you have connected to the player among several other things.

I never heard of connecting unpowered speakers directly to a DVD player.

Every DVD is different. Most have a menu you can access to set the sound to 2 Ch., 5.1, Dolby, DTS, etc.

[Y]

I'm with mark1101 here. I'm not sure a DVD player has the muscle to drive speakers.

You need to buy a receiver. The Marantz NR1402 would be a perfect fit. http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&SubCatId=&ProductId=NR1402

The Onkyo TX-SR308 is also nice, but a little higher rating than your speakers at 65 WPC. http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR308&class=Receiver&p=s

There are cheaper receivers out there, but make sure you don't stray too far over the 50 watts per channel RMS which is the rating for those speakers.

CD does not have 5.1, it is stereo. You can use all channel stereo setting with a receiver which will take that stereo sound and divide it up into the 5.1 system and sound well seperated.