Sound Measuring software for my shop

OK, I now have the 12 sheets of Baltic Birch ready to make my 4 Tuba HT's. I need to start thinking about some kind of measuring software and hardware so I can get all these drivers balanced. Has anybody got any recomendations? Back a long time ago somebody gave me a tip on something, but I've lost it.

REW is what I use, too. You'll need a computer (laptop is recommended), a reasonable sound card, and a microphone+cable (I use a Behringer ECM-8000) with some sort of microphone phantom power source (typically, this is something like a small mixer). There is just a little spin-up time getting everything together and getting used to the software.

I also use a Behringer DEQ2496 room EQ unit (you can pick these up used on ebay and craigslist, etc.-- the DEQ2496 also works with the ECM-8000 microphone) that does continuous pink noise automatic room EQ. While I don't use the DEQ2496 in my full-time setup, I use it for calibration, and use my active crossovers (EV Dx38 crossovers and Crown XTi-1000 DSP/power amplifiers) to transfer the DEQ2496's graphic EQ filter settings from auto-EQ into Parametric EQ (PEQ) filters on the active crossovers. I use REW to verify what I'm seeing with the DEQ2496 autoEQ function, and also to measure the room's RT60 vs. frequency and other interesting things.

A link to one thread showing the end results of using these devices:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/140281/1428097.aspx#1428097

Chris

+1 for REW. Let me know if you are interested in an ECM8000 microphone. I have an extra one I was going to list on eBay. I will add, however, that it is worth it to get a fully calibrated microphone if you are going to use the setup much at all. I finally broke down and ordered a calibrated one. Twice the price, but I got tired of always wondering if things I saw in plots were speaker/room issues, or microphone problems. Without a calibrated mic, you just won't know.

Thanks. I knew somebody here told me how to do all this. I am going to video the shop once I get things up, and I will use the new microphone!

+1 for REW. Let me know if you are interested in an ECM8000 microphone. I have an extra one I was going to list on eBay. I will add, however, that it is worth it to get a fully calibrated microphone if you are going to use the setup much at all. I finally broke down and ordered a calibrated one. Twice the price, but I got tired of always wondering if things I saw in plots were speaker/room issues, or microphone problems. Without a calibrated mic, you just won't know.

I believe I would like a calibrated one as well. Ignorance is bliss, and unless I get hit in the head, I cannot be ignorant of the calibrated wonder if its right issue. [H] Where did you get the one you bought?

SMAART software is what most sound engineers use- Transfer Function is the main module you'll want to load up. It checks delay between the output source and input from the mic and uses only the relevant 'direct' data (reflections and odd extraneous sounds do not affect the measurement), so it's much better than a straight RTA. You can even tweak a PA using music as a source so you don't have to listen to pink noise for long periods of time.

I get a free copy of Smaart through work, but a few coworkers and myself stick with REW for system alignments. The built-in EQ prediction tool is invaluable for voicing, and I find the windowing settings more intuitive to use too. That's not to knock Smaart because it's got some cool features too, but there is a huge price difference and the free one saves me time.

I use the built-in Audyssey function in my Onkyo PR-SC886P AVP to set speaker time delays and channel gains (with some hand tweaking on my part) - but I turn off everything else that Audyssey attempts to modify.

I use my active crossovers (2 EV Dx38s, 2 Crown XTi-1000s) to do the PEQing and the crossovers. I use the built-in AVP subwoofer crossover to set the crossover between my subs (SPUDs) and the balance of my setup (front Jubilees, center Belle, surround Cornwalls). That way, I can turn the subs off/on with one remote button push (which I never use...they stay on all the time).

Chris

The Dayton Emm-6 comes with a calibration curve and costs $50. For low frequency stuff the calibration isn't going to be a huge concern...

I researched this mic as well and from what I found, the calibrated ECM-8000 is a better mic.....supposedly. I went ahead and got all the calibration options so it was as expensive as it could get for that model.

Next question. How escatly do you tune a pre/pro surround system? If this were a simple stereo setup I know just EQ the two channels. With many channels, do I buy gobs of EQ's and stick them between the preamp and the amp?

I use Audyssey Pro and my Integra DHC 9.9 to set all the speaker distance measurements, time delay and Audyssey EQ. The Audyssey Pro does use a proprietary calibrated microphone. For each individual speaker L,C,R, I use the EQ settings available in my Ashly and Behringer crossovers to voice the speaker.

The Dayton Emm-6 comes with a calibration curve and costs $50. For low frequency stuff the calibration isn't going to be a huge concern...

I researched this mic as well and from what I found, the calibrated ECM-8000 is a better mic.....supposedly. I went ahead and got all the calibration options so it was as expensive as it could get for that model.

What did you find to differentiate the two? They're essentially the same mic (both using the panasonic electret capsule)???