Why....?

TunaCharlie

Disclaimer: I know nothing about speakers at all, accept that I like big ones cause my make my musicy noisy Biggrin.gif

These are probably dumb questions, but why , when I have mine turned up high, do sub woofers seem to make my chest push inward every beat? Also, are there any warning signs that a sub is going to blow out, audible or otherwise? And why do they blow out air? Thanx Smile.gif

Bah, sig is gorped :/

This message has been edited by TunaCharlie on 04-25-2002 at 08:25 PM

great questions, just one from me Smile.gif You do know that there is a CharlieTuna here right? Smile.gif very similar names LoL, but i don't think he will mind.

The answer too all of your questions (almost all) is the same. Sound is produced by waves vibrating at a certain frequency. The faster the vibration, the higher the frequency, the higher pitch the sound. The more movement, the higher the amplitude, the more air moved, the louder the sound. So, in a sub, it has a low frequency, lets say 30Hz. That is pretty low. It vibrates slower than a high pitch sound, but moves more air because of the size and design of the woofer. that extra air is increased as you turn up the volume, in effect causing all the air particles around you to vibrate violently, and thus, they bump into you and shake you. the louder and lower it gets, the more it shakes you, and can cause nausea and your heart to go blu bump da blump Smile.gif you chest is pushed in because you are having the air basically compressed around you. think of when you dive into a pool from a high dive, you seem to lose air, that is because the pressure around you has increased. on speaker ratings, you will often see SPL. That is the sound pressure level, and the higher the dB (loudness) the more SPL, that means more pressure, and with each punch of the sub, you get a blast of pressure pushing against you.

make sense?

sub is going to die... it makes a bad sound or gets really really hot. if it starts to sound bad, and you did not move it or alter anything, then you can question if it is on its way to the grave, but speakers generally don't die off too soon.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

just thought of something. if you have a sub that has a hole on it and air comes out... then you have a ported subwoofer. this lets the speakers hit lower notes louder, with less effort. sometimes people think that this design sounds boomy, but it gives you a lot of bang for the buck. but the same applies for the air explaination. as the speakers push out, the hole sucks in air, as they go back together, they push out air, so you fell air moving around. if you do have one of these type subs, get a peice of paper, play some music, put the paper on the port, not for very long, and notice how it shakes, but stays where you put it. that is because the frequncy (the movement of the speaker) is so fast, that it is almost sucking and blowing at the same time.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>