receiver and floor stand speaker

blackedout

I have a onkyo tx nr509 right now I have a pair of rb 61s as my lefts and rights but I want new floorstanding speakers and was thinking about the rf 62s Or 82s but don't know if this thing is powrefull enough to not damage the speakers by underpowering them. I really dont understand all this electrical stuff on receivers and speakers if my receiver is not strong enough is there any way to increase the power in the receiver or something.

Unless you listen at extreme volumes, you will not damage them. One of the great things about Klipsch speakers is that you don't need a ton of power to get great sound. One thing the extra power will get you is more detail, but they should sound great with your 509. Either the 62s or 82s would work well as both are rated at 150 watts per channel...................As for power, unfortunately the 509 does not have pre-outs. Pre-outs are used to connect an external amp for added power. In the Onkyo line, pre-outs start with the 700 series receiver.

Your 509 will do fine and not harm any of the speakers. If you are still looking for more power, I would recommend a 7.1 channel receiver with pre-outs (in case you ever want to increase the power with an external amp) that has roughly 100 watts per channel or better. I'm currently running a 7 channel Yamaha with 95 w/p/c, but it's only while my Onkyo is in the shop. My Onkyo is the 708 and produces 110 w/p/c. Both receivers do a great job of running my 5.2 reference series with RF-82s.

One thing to note is that even though your Onkyo has 80 w/p/c, the more speakers you have plugged into it, the less w/p/c it will produce. With 2 speakers, you probably get 70 w/p/c and with 5 speakers, probably closer to 45. A 7 channel, 100 watt, receiver running five speakers will probably put out 65 wpc and that will be good enough for RF-82s at any volume, but 200 wpc can REALLY make them shine.

As for brand recommendations, Onkyo, Marantz, Yamaha, Denon, and Harmon Kardon are always popular.

Any current AVR will have plenty of power to be used on RF62's or 82's. Most say more power will have the speakers sounding better but you stand no chance of damaging the speakers due to underpowering them. I can suggest Onkyo products as that is what I have own. If you don't want preouts for an external amp than the 608 is a nice AVR... HDMI 1.4, plenty powerful enough, and it can be had cheap. If you are looking to add an external amp at some point then you'll need preouts. The onkyo sr707 is about the cheapest onkyo with preouts that I can remember. You go up from there with the nr808-nr5008. I currently have the nr3007 and in 2 channel mode it puts out 140 watts per channel. Of course from what I understand the volume levels at which I am listening to it the speakers are actually recieving very little power...like less than 5 watts.

The 62ii's are very nice speakers. I compared them side by side to the rf7ii's. I was impressed. Can't speak on the 82's other than to say what I have read on this forum.

Any current AVR will have plenty of power to be used on RF62's or 82's. Most say more power will have the speakers sounding better but you stand no chance of damaging the speakers due to underpowering them.

Actually I think you run a bigger risk of damaging your speakers from underpowering. When a speaker is underpowered you risk clipping and blowing the tweeter if pushed.

Any current AVR will have plenty of power to be used on RF62's or 82's. Most say more power will have the speakers sounding better but you stand no chance of damaging the speakers due to underpowering them.

Actually I think you run a bigger risk of damaging your speakers from underpowering. When a speaker is underpowered you risk clipping and blowing the tweeter if pushed.

That was my understanding as well. If you push the volume high, but don't have the juice to back it up it will clip and could cause damage. The 509 at 80 wpc won't cause the speakers to clip...unless unless you listen at extremely loud volumes.