KG-4 / KG-1

vandec54

Hello All,

My local Craigs list is advertising a pair of KG-4's and a pair of KG-1's for sale, the asking price is $400. I am not familiar with these, I see them in the profiles of some posters from time to time though. Could someone enlighten me about these speakers, what years were they made, speaker construction, stats, sound quality, how they compare to my RF-3II's and is $400 a good price. Thank you for your response

These speakers are older than what you have now, i havent heard these but i wouldnt swap out what you have for them, just based on the age of the drivers, in my opinion....these arent heritage so age plays more into things. They would be nice to buy and test i suppose. I think 400 is too much for them. I think 200-250 would be a decent deal. I also think they arent as aestetically pleasing as what you have now. With that said i had the setup you have and i was very very very pleased with it. It is a very versatile system. I had KG 3.2's and they had a great sound, i would buy them again in a heartbeat if i had the money and a purpose for them. I also had to reglue the spyder to the cone on one of the passives...again with age and use/abuse things like this happen. I wouldnt swap any of the stuff in my system right now for them.

http://www.klipsch.com/kg-4

BUILT FROM: 1985 BUILT UNTIL: 1992 DIMENSIONS: 24.25" (61.6cm) x 15.75" (40cm) x 10.75" (27.3cm) ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF) ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via passive radiator FINISHES: Walnut Oil, Oak Oil, Finished Black FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 38Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 6 ohms POWER HANDLING: 100 watts maximum continuous (500 watts peak) SENSITIVITY: 94dB @ 1watt/1meter TWEETER: K-74-K 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic dome compression driver WEIGHT: 40 lbs. (18.2kg) WOOFER: Two K-8-K 8" (20.32cm) Poly ICG cone active / KD-12 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone passive

http://www.klipsch.com/kg-1

SPECIFICATIONS

• BUILT FROM: 1990
  • BUILT UNTIL: 1992
  • DIMENSIONS: 13" (33cm) x 9.25" (23.5cm) x 9.4" (23.9cm)
  • ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)
  • ENCLOSURE TYPE: Sealed
  • FINISHES: Walnut Oil, Oak Oil, Finished Black
  • FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 50Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB
  • HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: Dhorm
  • NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms
  • POWER HANDLING: 50 watts maximum continuous (250 watts peak)
  • SENSITIVITY: 90dB @ 1watt/1meter
  • TWEETER: K-83-K 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic dome
  • WEIGHT: 15.5 lbs. (7kg)
  • WOOFER: K-1-K 6.5" (16.51cm) Poly Injected Carbon Graphite cone

Echoing SuBXeRo, I think the KG 4 would make a decent two channel setup for a bedroom (or garage if it's not too harsh in the winter), but they're no replacement for what you have for your HT.

I had RF-3 IIs next to KG 4s at one time and the RF-3IIs have a more open quality in the highs, and have more bass presence. I've read here how the KG 4 is the closest (in the KG line) you can get to the Heritage sound.

I still have a KG 1 pair. Plan on giving them to my son when he's a little older.

At $400 I think it's a little high, unless they're in perfect shape. I sold my KG 4s locally for $250, and KG 1s regularly sell for around $100 on ebay. Ask if he'll sell for $350. Then, if that day comes, you'll able to sell and get most or all of your money back.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Your welcome!

Yeah you're on t'other side of Winnebago. I drive through Green Bay on 41 when visiting my wife's extended family in Gladstone, MI.

I lived in Boston for a year for school, and my instructor said to me," Isn't Wisconsin a mud puddle on the way to somewhere important?" He was half joking and at the same time didn't know where WIsconsin is on the map. Met quite a few people out east with the "why there?" opinion.

Wisconsin......best kept secret no one wants to know.

I still use KG4s for my main speakers... and with KG1s as rear surround. My system is set up differnt from most but these speakers deffinatly hold center stage. IMO KGs are a good speaker allround bythem selves but when you add a set of KG2.5 above them the two speakers together make for one Hell of a set up. As for a $400 dollar price tag i would say a fair deal if they were all in mint condition. if not off him 300 and smile all they way till your first test you wont be dissipointed

cant go wrong with a kg4