Laptop question... do they have a fuse?

Coytee

Just as the title asks...

Sister in law brought her laptop over. Said she was plugging the headphones into the jack. Seems something was loose and she kept at it & kept at it...suddenly, the entire thing died.

I just took it apart and don't see ANY fuses inside it (I'm looking for the traditional slow blow type with the glass window)

There was a part of the headphone jack inside that was mangled and twisted. The twisted part was soft... it had a hot/melted spot in it where clearly something happened (shorted?)

Looking at the motherboard under it, I don't see any obvious signs of burns/flameouts but clearly something is wrong.

Unit is 100% dead. I was hoping there would be a fuse inside it. It's a Dell if that makes any difference, made in China of course.

no fuses...test the power supply with a multi meter if the power supply is external...if the power supply is internal, it will probally have to be serviced by the steeler.

At least some laptops have one or more fuses, if not all of them. Look for a surface mount fuse on the board. Looks like a little brick soldered to the board. The legend on the board will likely have a number preceded by the letter F. What you won't likely find is a tubular glass fuse in a clip. Replacement is something better left to a pro if you don't have the experience.