Changing Capacitors on K-horn Type A crossover???

Thanks guys for all your comments! I (& many others who heard my system) really like the sound coming from my mighty K-horns... Like I originally stated, I have a bit of audio nervosa & just thought there may be an audible improvement in changing out the GE motor run caps with a higher quality "audio" cap...

I haven't heard back from VH Audio yet on some "accomodation" pricing for a 2 uF + 13 uF cap combo. I figured if it was "reasonable" to experiment, I would; if not I'm still a very happy camper...

Thanks again,

Pete

DJK,

I can confirm your measured results from a hearing point of view. Just poly sounds a subtle bit distorted in the harmonics of human voices, a PIO alone slightly dull. Their combination is clearly a progress.

Even superior and my best results so far: Adding a small bypass silver mica on top of that.

Did you ever try or measure any of these?

c

• 2 weeks later...
Technical specifications (according to manufacturer): “The dielectric is polypropylene film, the electrodes consist of an extremely thin metal coating obtained by vacuum evaporation. Case and cover are made with self-extinguishing plastic material; the capacitive element is sealed with polyurethane resin. The main characteristics of these capacitors are: Low losses non-inductive winding; Self-healing property avoiding short circuits; Small size and limited weight; No leakage risk; Capacitance tolerance: ± 5%; Working frequency range: 50 ÷ 60 Hz; Individual test voltage: Between terminals: 2.15 Vn for 2 sec.; between terminals and case: 3KV for 2 sec; Dissipation factor tan δ: <20 10–4@ 20°C V=Vn, 50Hz; Protection Case and cover in self – extinguishing plastic material; Terminals: twin cable, unipolar leads; Protection degree: with terminals: IP00; with twin cable IP55; Threaded fixing bolt M8”

Sound: This industrial type capacitor (like the ASC and Inco) is quite nice! They sound a bit dull at first because they take a while to burn-in. But after a few days of normal use they deliver a reasonably wide and open sound stage. Nice and neutral, maybe a slightly warm sound. One of those things that don’t impress at first but sort of grow on you after a while, you learn to appreciate their qualities – great! Not the ultimate in sound staging or micro-detail and if you want a lively and bright sounding filter then this is not your cap. But if you are looking for a smooth, warm and relaxed sound then give these a try.

that is the test of ducati caps