Mixing RC7 with RF5

m00n

What would be the disadvantage of mixing a RC7 with a pair of RF5's

I like my RF3II and RC3II, but for my taste, leaves a bit to be desired. I just heard the RF7. OMG, those things are incredible, but I have a feeling it would be way Way WAY too much sound for my living room, therefore I am thinking about cutting it in the middle. I wish there was an RC5....

As far as the RF5's sound quality, would you say it leans more towards the RF3IIs sound quality or the RF7's or right in the middle. I know the price is about right in the middle.

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 04-27-2002 at 03:42 PM

RF-5 is probably closer to the RF3 than the RF7. The RC-7 is a noticeable upgrade - a larger center is a good idea, since up to 75% of your sound in 5.1 sources comes through the center channel. There is no disadvantage in going RF-5 and RC-7 - the bigger you can go on speakers, the better. Get what your wallet and room can handle. If your wallet can handle the RF-7's as mains, get 'em (are you sure they won't fit??)

Speakers are the one purchase in audio that can take a good sounding system and make it kick a$$. Get the MOST speaker your budget and room can handle, and you'll enjoy the benefits for years to come, with less desire to upgrade. This is one area where spending more money really gives tangible results, much more so than any other single audio product.

If you can upgrade only the mains or the center, I would upgrade the center, especially if this system gets a significant amount of HT usage. (If you only listen to HT a very small percentage of the time - that is you are mainly a 2 channel listener, you may rethink this). And don't be flustered - if the dealer will let you swap, and you feel the need, then by all means do so. You've had some time to listen to your system - only you can decide what is right for you. If you are not happy with the RF3 package and your dealer will let you upgrade, and your wallet and room can handle it, then do it.

Think bigSmile.gif

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 04-27-2002 at 04:29 PM

Welp.... There it is. I just spoke to my wife. I tried to pretend that I had already done it. Even though I had not, but got the big, I don't want to hear it, don't want to know I just want it to be done.

Upgrade here I come. Now I have to decide.... Do I or do I not get the R7s

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Ya, I am going to upgrade to RF7 and RC7. For now I will stay with my RS-3IIs. I don't see a huge need for upgrading them right now. My biggest concern is my receiver. I hope it can handle those monsters. I should have my upgrade by next weekend. I honestly hope these are not too much for my living room. When I heard them in the store, they were just massive sounding.

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

I doubt the receiver will even be breathing hard, those RF7s are so efficient that they hardly take anything to produce volumnes of sound. I recently purchased a Sony DA5ES receiver and that made a nice difference in the sound quality of the overall HT performance, nice combination and right now they can be had for a VERY good price, some have stated they picked it up for 750 plus shipping, not bad considering it was selling for around 1200, msrp was 1500...quite a bargain.

Good luck on those and not to worry, you'll just be drenched in quality sound!!!

G2

quote:

Originally posted by Gary W. Graley:

I doubt the receiver will even be breathing hard, those RF7s are so efficient that they hardly take anything to produce volumnes of sound.

Good luck on those and not to worry, you'll just be drenched in quality sound!!!

G2

That is very good to hear! 33.gif

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Oh, in regards to the RS3s, they should work really well, I wish I had them! maybe I'll upgrade to them as well! Right now I have a set of SB1s that work pretty good as I'd never get the wife approval for hanging speakers on the walls yet. For surround I'm sure those RS3s are a great sounding speaker.

Interested in knowing if anyone on the board here had made the change from a book shelf speaker to one of the Surround speakers and what they're thoughts on the differences?

G2

Seb, hey tell ya what, I will have the whole bunch of ya overcwm35.gif

boa12 is a must. I am sure he can come over and tweek it so it will sound better. cwm1.gif

------------------

the m00n system

Update. RF-3II and RC-3II to be replaced with RF-7 and RC-7c>s>

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Just today I picked up an RC-7 (to replace a smaller, older Klipch center). VERY impressed, and should be, considering the price... I have the KLF-30 front speakers. Still nice sounding, but since I got into the reference series, I'm sold on them. I plan to replace my fronts with the RF-7s. As was mentioned in one of the previous postings, get the best you can afford. Don't worry about room size. Never in my life have I regretted purchasing "the most I can afford" when it came to speakers. You'll get a lifetime of pleasure from them (and so will your friends).