Projector owners (what color mode r u using?)

JasonJCarney

The following are the color modes for my epson 8500ub. I use the x.v mode and Im just wondering what color modes everyone else is using. THX (Home Cinema 8500 UB) or Natural (Home Cinema 8100)—For projecting natural, accurate colors in a dimly lit room.Theater—For viewing movies in a dimly lit room.Theater Black 1—For images that are close to those in professional-use broadcast monitors. Use in a fully—darkened room.Theater Black 2—to emphasize rich colors, like those seen in movies at the theater. Use in a fully—darkened room.x.v Color—For the most natural color reproduction when viewing movies through HDMI.

Hey Jason. Everyone will probably use a different mode depending on what type of screen they have and the Gain value of that screen.I have an optoma projector and I'm using Video mode for the Gamma and User for my color mode.....I was using Cinema for everything but believe it or not Video actually got me closer to the ideal Gamma of 2.2. Then I just went in and tweaked my settings with my calibration disc. Are you using the default settings x.v. mode or did you tweak them? (can you even tweak them?) I was just asking bc I have found that those modes are great starting points but they usually require a little tweaking. Even my parents THX Certified JVC projector needed tweaks when set to THX mode.

Thats a pretty good starting point! But I use Avia II. It is an older DVD but it is still relevant today and all the adjustments have been right on for everything that I have used it on. Not only does it include tests similar to the ones you have seen on the THX optimizer but it also includes more advanced options as well such as checking your Gamma and Color balance. I'm sure your projector allows you to not only adjust saturation but it probably also allows you to adjust the individual colors as well. (red, green, blue) Thats where the color balance comes into play bc even tho it looks like everything is great a couple of the colors may be off a little. But once everything is balanced the picture looks even better....and those tests are just the basic ones.....there are a ton more advanced tests but some of them require extra equipment etc so i never messed with them. The disc also has a ton of audio calibration tests as well. Enough to keep you busy for a couple of hours but once you finish you will be very satisfied.

If you want something a little more recent then there is a calibration Blu Ray called Spears & Munsil High Definition Benchmark. It does the same thing as Avia II but the added advantage is the fact that all of the test patterns are in 1080p and they are supposed to be more accurate than tests on "other" discs. I know people who have used this disc with great results but I personally haven't used it yet. So I don't know if the results you get with this disc will be way better or not. I doubt they will be but I could be wrong. But this disc is cheaper than Avia II and its updated so thats a plus too. The only thing lacking on this disc will be audio adjustments. Not quite as many as Avia.

There are other discs made by Monster and DVE....once again I have no personal experience with those but they seem to receive bad reviews so I stayed away from them.

Avia II is $50 normally (which is what i paid) but now Amazon has it for $40. I'm sure ebay probably has a used one even cheaper. If you find a used one it is very important to make sure that it includes the color filters...all 3 of them.

Spears & Munsil is $25 on Amazon. Not quite as many tests but it will def get the job done as well. This disc only comes with one filter ( a blue one) i believe so I don't think you'll be able to adjust the colors individually with this one but I could be wrong. Probably cheaper on ebay as well.

I don't think you can go wrong with either disc....I love Avia but Spears is newer....I guess you could buy them both. Lol.