diy sub

vnzbd

I am considering a sub for ht and have been thinking about a diy. I currently have a Emotiva XPA-2 that could be used for the amplifiction but would not be against say a Parts Express plate amp. I am in a town house and have been anti sub for the good neighbor issue but have some thoughts and questions.

My room has very limited space on the front wall so if I place it there it would have to be in a down fireing configuration with a maximum size of approx 12"H x 48"W x 20" D. It would be placed directly between the fronts, below the center.

Second thought, my couch is wide open to the rear of the room, I could build something up to a similar size speced above, but with the woofer(s) firing directly into the back of the couch, for possible maximum feel at a minimal level for the neighbors sake.

I would consider using a JL Audio woofer(s) for the project as I use them in my car and have been blown away by their sound quality and they provide very detailed box specs and output specs for their designs. Are there any known issues for using a car sub in a home situation?

My mains are Chorus IIs, Academy center driven by an Emotiva XPA-5. My ht listening volume levels are much lower than in the theater so max spl is probably not an issue.

Thanks for the input and advise!

I am considering a sub for ht and have been thinking about a diy. I currently have a Emotiva XPA-2 that could be used for the amplifiction but would not be against say a Parts Express plate amp. I am in a town house and have been anti sub for the good neighbor issue but have some thoughts and questions.

My room has very limited space on the front wall so if I place it there it would have to be in a down fireing configuration with a maximum size of approx 12"H x 48"W x 20" D. It would be placed directly between the fronts, below the center.

Ever think about a vertical standing. also make sure the subwoofer can be mounted downfiring as some cones are to heavy for the mechanics (surrounds) of the sub

Second thought, my couch is wide open to the rear of the room, I could build something up to a similar size speced above, but with the woofer(s) firing directly into the back of the couch, for possible maximum feel at a minimal level for the neighbors sake.

I would consider using a JL Audio woofer(s) for the project as I use them in my car and have been blown away by their sound quality and they provide very detailed box specs and output specs for their designs. Are there any known issues for using a car sub in a home situation?

as long as you have the t/s specs and use programs like winisd which are free.

My mains are Chorus IIs, Academy center driven by an Emotiva XPA-5. My ht listening volume levels are much lower than in the theater so max spl is probably not an issue.

Thanks for the input and advise!