Best horn with Jubilee (clone) bottoms

kwingylee

Guys:

I want to provide update on this project, I can't believe this thing has gone on for almost 2 years.

I have made many crossover adjustments over this time, all of the while keeping my td2001/lecleach jmlc350 from auto tech and using the ev t350 I picked on on this very forum with excellent results. I ended up tri amping the t350s with a recapped bryston 2b circa 1980.

I decided to order another set of lecleach horns last July - with a 2" throat and a smaller set of jmlc1000 with a 1" throat.

They finally arrived after a 11 month wait.

I have spent the last week playing around:

Jmlc 350 has the td4001 and the jmlc 1000 has the td2001.

I crossover end the td4001 at 670hz and 5100hz.

The Jub bottoms are crossed at around 460hz

The td2001 at 7300hz.

I used 3rd order bw as recommended by lecleach. The td4001 has inverted polarity. The td2001 also gas reverse polarity.

All drivers have been time aligned. For the bass horn I used the horn length as reported in the jubilee aes paper.

So far so good. The system is excellent for near field listening with a deep and wide soundstage.

The improvements are clearly worth it. The highs are so good that I no longer feel like I need a stweeter. The 2001 does a great job.

I m happy to settle down right now and enjoy the music.

My room is extremely small - as attested by those on this forum who managed to squeeze in there. The treatments are needed for my Harbeth M4os. The also sound good with the setup in the picture.

The back wall is lined with atsacoustics 4" thick sound absorbing panels. I also have same panels on the side walls at the first reflection points. The panels are very reasonably price and are well worth the $$ I spent.

Without them, my system is almost unlistenable.

If your system is almost unlistenable without extensive room treatments, something's not right. It sounds like you're saying that either the system is terrible, or the room is terrible, but the room treatment saves the day. Are you putting Band-aids and Ductape on something that needs proper fixing?

Islander:

The room is terrible because its really small and the bass from huge speakers simply over powers it.

The acoustic panels I used are all 4 inches thick, to absorb the bass. Recently I added two more corner bass traps which really clean things up.

When I first started, I had Harbeth Monitor 40s which are known to have over bearing bass. I put the room treatments up for the Harbeths mainly and left them pretty much alone when I got my current setup.

The speakers that really sounded best in this room, without the sound treatments were the Harboth Monitor 30s that I once had....