Cool 51 khorn mid horn

khorn58

Yup. These are the same horns that my Khorns came with. The fiberglass sectoral. Although the sound is indeed glorious, you may experience an occasional funny noise in the way of a 'clack'. I'm sure I heard the 'clack' but it could have been phsycological as I heard nothing before I heard talk of this tendency. Hope I didn't just ruin it for you.

In any event, about 18 years ago, several years prior to my dad giving these Khorns to me, we replaced these horns with 511B's. Sound was virtually identical and if anything, I would have to give the edge to the 511's for a more solid 'feel' to the sound. Both horns are 500hz horns possessing the same size, flare and overall sonic qualities. But the 511's, properly damped, do not have the fiberglass tendency to 'clack'. We swapped these out based upon several testimonials read about how 'all' the sound engineers in SF in the 50's and early 60's were doing that to solidify the midrange sound of their Khorn studio monitors. Evidently during that era, it was THE speaker to use for sound accuracy.

So there they sat on the top shelf of my dad's garage for about oh.....10 years before my mom's complaining finally won over. Sad but true. Landfillbait. Who would have thunk. Aaaaahhhhh MOTHER!!!!!

------------------

Ed