SVS 16-46cs

lerajie

I received my SVS 1`6-46cs today. I am powering it with a Parasound HCA 1500a. Initial impressions are favorable. Very accurate bass. Absolutely no bloat. Fast and tight. Doesnt seem as loud as my KSW-12. The 16-46 doesn't have that artificial BOOM that the KSW did.I think I will favor the accuracy over the boom after I acclimate to the SVS.

------------------

lerajie

Just put my SV sub through a "bass cd" torture test.There is a track on this cd that sweeps from anout 15hz to 30hz.During this track I took a reading from my listening position.At 14 feet from the sub I got a peak reading of 114db . As I was doing this I watched my fiancee's "precious moments" dance around in the curio cabinet. Pretty impressive for a single 12inch sub.

------------------

lerajie

As far as price for performance I don't think you can beat this line of subs. The last time I heard a sub that was comparable to this sub was when I installed an HGS 15 in a co-workers home thater.Comparing the two subs I would say the 16-46cs comes out on top by a decent margin.I'm not the only one that thinks so either. I have had several guests over since I have hooked this sub up and everyone that has heard has been nothing short of stunned by what it can do.Keep in my mind these are the type of people who have never listened to any serious equipment aside from mine.

If you add the price of my Parasound Amp:$600.00 used and the Sub $549 shipped to my house(not to mention another can be added for $549). You can see that as far as high end subs go this one is very affordable.

Listening to the performance of this single SV sub I have no qualms with Tom Vodhandels claim that two 16-46's can surpass the performance of an HGS-18.

I will give fair warning to anyone that is considering purchasing this sub. If you are accustomed to "boomy" bass it is going to take you some time to acclimate to the SV line of subs.They do not boom. There is very little noticeable overhang and they are very fast musically.

------------------

lerajie

the velo hgs 15/18 do seem to be the standard for every other sub to come out under their price range (& the hgs are high price) biggrin.gif

i may have to try an svs w/ my hgs-18. also sounds like sv is working on some newer ones.

how's the pitch definition on music? does the kick-drum sound like it's right there in your room? tight?

Velodyne makes some fantastic subwoofers no doubt about that.As far as the reproduction of music. I think it is fantastic. I used to sing in a small garage band .I remember vividly the sound and feeling that a kick drum makes in person and the SV does a fantastic job of reproducing that sound among others.

I contacted SVS about the new line. It is tentatively being called the SS series. It is supposed to be 2 to 3 times better than the current line and also cost 2 to 3 times more. It should be available in additional finishes-piano gloss etc.You can contact SV for a small press release.That's where I got my info.

------------------

lerajie

thanks for the info l. wish larry greenville

@ stereophile would review an svs. yea that kick drum is a good indicator of sub musicality - if it's tight, powerful & stops on a dime, that's a good music sub i feel.

sounds like svs, piano gloss finish & all is going after a sub to match the hgs-18 (w/ just 1) & maybe the new rsw-15. could be a big battle of the $1-3k subs coming smile.gif

i'll keep an eye on their site.