Klipschorn Component Matching

Dandoyen

Hello all,

Very new to this. I currently have a Pioneer Elite VSX-47tx driving my 5.1 home theater system, anchored by 2 KLF-30s. I have recently acquired so much more. I now am the proud owner of two Khorns (manufactured 1998), and LaScala II center channel. I intend to make the KLF-30 my rears in a 5.1 system. With this purchase also came the McIntosh C220 preamp and MC275 power amp in PERFECT condition. I was originally going to turn around and sell these components, but the more I read about them the more I'm certain that would be a huge mistake, so I thought about integrating them with my receiver. Just moved into a new house and will making a dedicated listening room. Primary use of this system will be music (mostly vinyl on technics sl-1200). Would say 70% music, 20% movies (mostly action) and 10% TV (gotta have my sunday football). My question is: how do I integrate these components with my receiver, or should I even attempt to? New to the vacuum tube concept, and my receiver advertises that it has the power to drive anything (implying additional amps aren't necessary), or that it can be hooked up to either a pre or power amp. I'm interpreting that it can't be hooked to both? Can these components be integrated to provide me stereo and Video entertainment? Understood this may fall under several categories. Figure I'd start here. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Dan

Welcome to the Forum.

Couple of ways to do it, but the easiest (start point method), is to use the C220 as the "main" and the MC275 to power the K'horns. Then hook the C220 to the VSX via the tape circuitry, using the VSX to run the LS center and the KLF's using one of the high level inputs on the VSX. That, however precludes the use of HDMI or component/RGB (high def) output to the TV, etc.

Conversely, try using the VSX as the "main" with DVD, CD, TT etc hooked through the VSX. From the VSX, use one of the high level outputs (tape, CD record circuitry) to the C220 and set the C220 to that "source". In that case, although they would be the rear's, the KLF's would be hooked to the VSX as the "front L/R" but then you would attenuate them ~ -3 - ~ -6db to keep them from interfering with the real fronts - the K-horns.

There are some problems you might face with mixing the two amps in one system. The highest possibilty is that when everything is turned on and "running", the different circuitry may produce an "echo" effect due to the varying processing delays inherent in the circuitry. This is most prevalent with micing analog and HDMI sources and outputs. This effect is noticeable on older AVR's and manifests itself as that wird "delay" between the voice and the obviously moving lips of the actor on the screen. Newer AVR's and the HD TV's overcome that by adjustable "synching" of the audio and video signal.

Unfortunately, there is no "pre-in" or low level line input for the C220, so you are pretty much stuck with high level (non-HD) inputs; and... the C220 is "switchable", and powers one main or another, but not both (the pre-out #1 to the right of the "main" may be "live").

The C220, unfortunately, was not intended to "distribute" pre-level signals to multiple power amps, thus the tape circuit as described above. However.... You could also try using a "Y" adapter, and run one to the 275 and one to the power amp "in" on the VSX provided it can act as just a power amp. But... all inputs would have to be via the C220, and that means no HD TV signal......

Short version? it can be done, but you will end up adjusting the volume of both amps independently to achieve the desired levels.

Hope that is of some assistance.

[H]

Groom,

Thank you! I ran the C220 as a "source" and attenuated the KLFs. It is glorious! The TV/blu-ray all sound good at first listen, but haven't put any time into a good movie yet for testing. I've been in stuck in auditory nirvana from Dire Straits and Gordon Lightfoot. Thanks again!

:)