Differerence Between 1966 H-700 and 1972 H-700

Evolvo

Only difference is the woofer. IRC 1966 should have an Electrovoice SP12B for the woofer, 1972 should have a CTS woofer. Otherwise, same squawker, tweeter and Type C network. One could argue that the EV woofer is better than the CTS woofer, but I am sure that PWK would have told you that there isn't a dimes worth of difference. I have 1966 Heresys for left and right front, and a 1972 Heresy for a center and I cannot tell the difference.

You don't notice anything different related to the whizzer cone on the SP12B? Nothing even subtle, or efficiency different?

Nope. Mechanical crossover frequency to the whizzer is well above the electronic crossover frequency to the squawker. The whizzer doesn't do a thing. Sensitivty (efficiency) is similar. When sound pans from one side to other through center, it is seamless.

might be a crossover difference too. I think there was a type 4 and a type d.

W-1000-5000, or something similar, was used in earliest Heresys. There was no level matching between woofer and the hotter squawker and tweeter. And they squawker crossover was 1000Hz, not 700Hz.

IIRC there was a Type 4 of some sort, maybe circa 1964.

By 1966, Type C network was in use and provided level matching via autotransformer. Crossover to squawker at 700Hz. It was still in use in 1972,

Type D appeared with the 8 ohm woofers and was quickly replaced by the Type E when Klipsch figured out that changing the phase of one of the components made the speaker sound better. Not sure exactly when either appeared anymore. Didn't they just start calling them Heresys instead of H700s around that time?