Voice of Music Tube Receiver

Coloradohiker

I wondered if anyone had some thoughts on Voice of Music tube receivers. There is a Model 1467 available locally for $90 in working condition. About all I have been able to find out is that they where produced around 1963 and have 6BQ5 output tubes. I wondered if this would be a good receiver to drive my Cornwalls or would I be better of with a HK 430/730/930 receiver.

Thanks, Alan

The VM stuff was made in Benton Harbor, Michigan and I think most of their business was in manufacturing private label record changer mechanisms for other manufacturers' consoles and record players.

I have several of their integrated amps, some with 6AQ5s and some with 6BQ5s. Unfortunately they are not a good match for Klipsch products because they have a non-defeatable Sprague loudness compensation circuit wired into the "tone-o-matic" volume control. That means the bass is bumped up at low power levels, but because Klipsch speakers are so efficient this results in the bass being boosted excessively at normal listening levels. As a result, the sound becomes very boomy and muddy. I suppose you could remove this circuit, but you'd probably have to design something else to take it's place to get a reasonably flat response. Ignore the above if the receiver you are looking at doesn't have this feature, but if it does you'd likely be better off with the HK.