Speakerlab woofer from its tribute to the Heresy in a Heresy?

MikeFord

Dust caps are easy and very inexpensive to replace.

I would worry less about putting on a new dust cap than taking off the old one. ;)

First I would try some tape to pop it out, then I might if it still bothered me put another dust cap on over the existing one.

I haven't even decided for sure to bid, or how high. I think I am edging toward the SP12B, or continuing to wait and see what I find non auction locally.

Dust caps are easy and very inexpensive to replace.

I would worry less about putting on a new dust cap than taking off the old one. ;)

First I would try some tape to pop it out, then I might if it still bothered me put another dust cap on over the existing one.

I haven't even decided for sure to bid, or how high. I think I am edging toward the SP12B, or continuing to wait and see what I find non auction locally.

If you are gentle you can use the vacuum cleaner to pop it out. Open the bypass hole on the vacuum and you can place the tube over the dent and turn the cleaner on and off quickly so it does not get going much. You don't need much suction.

If you are gentle you can use the vacuum cleaner to pop it out. Open the bypass hole on the vacuum and you can place the tube over the dent and turn the cleaner on and off quickly so it does not get going much. You don't need much suction.

I'd have to be real careful with the vacuum, we have an upright. ;)

• 10 months later...

I bought the pair of W1200R Speakerlab woofers, may have them in the Heresy's tomorrow night.

10 months later they are in my living room with the raw Speaklab driver sitting on the top of the cabinet, which is sitting on top of my Forte's I've been listening to for the first time this last week. I just "might" swap the woofers in the next couple days, as one woofer in the right side Forte has a scratchy voicecoil and replacement driver from Crites isn't due until Thursday. So "maybe" I will listen to the Heresy's tomorrow night. ;)

Spooked me a little looking at the drivers this morning, stamped 8 ohm, but earlier in the thread that didn't seem to be an issue.

Hmmm, the other night I went to LoneStar and ate a great burger, but that was a missed steak, any chance this might be another?

Seems odd it would be so far off from the original driver, yet made for a clone of the Heresy, and nobody else seeing an issue. Since I have them and the swap won't take too much time, I will have to give them a try to see how it goes, but hoping you missed a digit or the specs themselves were off.

Clone of a Heresy?

I think not. Just because the cabinet was of a similar volume and it had two horns in it means little. Speakerlab never gave any specifications beyond the T/S parameters, no frequency response, no efficiency, nothing. Calculating the efficiency from the T/S data provided suggests that it is far less efficient than a Heresy.

Took some digging, but in the 1980 Speakerlab catalog they finally got around to listing sensitivity for the different models and the 4 is listed as 91 db. Looks like a no go, or at least a highly unlikely go. They should have some nice bass performance, but not really the direction I have in mind vs efficiency.

Thanks for running the numbers.