putting KG 4.2 on stands?

Earle Decker

I just got a pair a mint 5.2's and am using them as my mains and I have moved the 4.2's to surround duties.

The problem is that they are kinda low for surrounds. Is it possible to use a pair of stands for the 4.2s to raise them maybe 6-8 inches?

Heres some pics to see what I mean.

What will the trade offs be sound wise. I am using the Outlaw ICBM for my bass managemnet. The 4.2s are set to 60 hz as a HP Xover.

TIA

Earle

This message has been edited by Earle Decker on 05-01-2002 at 10:50 AM

Earle - You may give up some low bass response, but with that SVS to take up the slack, it may not be an issue. You can just raise the crossover on the 4.2s on the ICBM to compensate, so you don't lose the bass in those channels.

Get a couple of cinder blocks (they're 8" high) and try it -- see how it sounds!

Doug

------------------

My System

Earle, there is a relatively inexpensive and appropriate solution waiting for you at Home Depot.

First, I suggest you will get more benefit by raising them more than you have indicated. Monopoles derive their "ambience" factor by facing each other about a foot or so behind your head in the sweet spot... and about a foot above where your ears are when seated in the sweet spot.

Home Depot sells a two foot length of 6" ABS pipe and matching floor drains. Stick a floor drain in the top and the bottom and you have a sturdy stand for your 4.2's. If you block the bottom floor drain at the grate, you can fill them with enough "play sand" to make them even more stable. -HornED

Thanks for the ideas guys.

HornEd, That sounds like the easiest and cheapest solution minus the concrete blocks. I'll probably just go witha 12" stand so that they are the same height as the rears.

**********Shameless new dad bragging ahead************

Check out my web site to see my new son, Colin.

He arrived on last Friday, 1 month early and is doing great.

**********End of new dad brag****************

I'll let everyone know how the stands work

Thanks again

Earlecwm4.gifcwm4.gifcwm4.gifcwm4.gif

This message has been edited by Earle Decker on 05-03-2002 at 08:42 PM

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...