Elite Receiver Enough?

Dandoyen

5.1 setup: 2011 Khorn mains, 2011 LaScala 2 center, 1999 KLF-30 surrounds, Danley DTS-10 sub.

I'm currently deployed, and these are in boxes waiting for me when I get home (minus the KLFs I've had those for awhile). I've got a pioneer elite VSX-47tx that'll be driving these. Is there really a need for an additional power amp? Khorns and LaScala advertise 100 watts continuous max w/ a 400 watt peak, while the KLF-30s advertise a 200 watts continuous max w/ a 800 watt peak. Receiver advertises 130 W X 7 channels in surround mode @ 8 ohms (all speakers nominal impedance). By that metric, shouldn't it be enough to drive the mains and center, w/ maybe an external amp to pick up the KLFs? Understood I may be displaying ignorance here but I'm here to learn! I ask this because I have some great equipment at my disposal. I've got a Mcintosh mc207 that will run 200 watts continuous over all 7 channels, but is that too much for khorns and lascala? My understanding is that it will satisfy the KLFs, and last thing I want to do is damage my new toys right out of the box... I have some alternatives, return mc207 to dealer (already agreed to take it - still sealed in box) and then maybe just get a 2 channel amp for just KLFs and mains/center run off the pioneer receiver? Or what I'd really like to do is run tube amps to the mains (either mcintosh mc275 (which I already have) or mc2102) and an additional 2-channel ss amp to the KLFs, and tube monoblock to the center? Or should I just stick with the receiver? What do you all think? Any and all opinions welcome.

Dan

Well first off thanks for your service. Second that is one hell of a welcome home gift! I would love to get a listen to brand new khorns and that danley is suppossed to be ridiculous. From what I understand those speakers dont require much power as they are super efficient. But I'll leave that up to the heritage guys.

Your MC207 or MC275 are not "to much" for the amazing speakers you listed. The klipsch speakers are VERY efficient. On peaks and explosions in movies, the watts going into those speakers will spike, but that spike will be far from the 200 watts your MC207 can put out.

In other words, your ears can't handle that much power being put through those speakers. You shouldn't be able to overdrive them because it will just be to loud to stand.

I say keep the amps and try it out when you get back home. You already have the equipment and hopefully, you'll get a few weeks off when you get back. Try it with the reciever, then listen to the same movie with the amp hooked up. You're ears will tell you which one you like.

Besides, once you get home, get some real food and get your freak on...you can spend a few days tinkering with that wonderful setup. Great way to spend that deployment money!!

Come back safe and welcome to the forum!!!

Thanks y'all. I'm excited to return home to this. Will tinker plenty during my leave period (plus I have like 80 days of vacation saved up over the years anyway so I'll be taking substantial time off). JasonJ, curious as to your thoughts on the Epson 8500UB. I've been eyeing that as the video compliment to my audio. If you could go back and buy a home cinema projector, would you make the same choice?