7.1 - Which Speakers To Choose?

linyotam

Hi

everybody,

My name is Yotam and I’m from Israel.

As for now, I want to buy pair of the RF-II-82 Speakers for front

And the RC-II-62 speaker for a center speaker.

My dilemma is which surrounds to buy for the other 4 speakers to

complete my 7.1 home theater set.

Until now i thought that 4 RS-II-52 will be perfect

But, the more i read the more I’m starting to believe that for the

rear speakers it's probably best to buy one of those RB-II speakers

(Which one of those? 61? 81? etc...). Or am I wrong?

Thank you,

Yotam.

Welcome!

Surrond Sound: The type and size of the speaker depends on the size of the room, location options you have, your personal preferences/limitations and finally the budget.

If you choose, RF-82 IIs, RC-62 II, then the option you have for the surround speakers are RS-62 II, RS-52 II, RS-42 II, RS-41 II

Now there are other options that you have are either a 'Floor Standing Speakers e.g. RF-82 II, RF-62 II, RF-52 II as surround or Bookshelf speakers e.g. RB-81 II, RB-61 II, RB-51 II, RB-41 II as your surround.

As you can see from above, there are quite a few choices, and people have different setup to suite their preferences and audio tests. For both bookshelf and surround you need to find out how you are going to place/mount them - Stand, Shelf, Wall mouting, etc.

Good Luck!

As posted above, it depends on what you want and what the limitations of your room are. Could you describe your listening preference, i.e. movies/TV/games/concert DVDs. What about the location of the side and rear surrounds. Is it flexible? Are you looking mount speakers on the wall, on stands, from the ceiling? How far behind the listening position would the rear channels be?

Sure mate :)

I'll try to be more understood. [:P]

I have a large living roomIt's about 8X8 meters.

I sit about 4 meters from the front wall (where the TV is)

And the distance from the side walls is about 3 meters from each direction.

My listening preferences are: 90% movies 10% music.

Now, because the distance from the side and rear walls I'll have to mount the speakers from the ceiling.

So I thought to mount 4 Surround speakers (RS-II-52) from the ceiling around the sweet spot

2 from the sides of the sweet spot. Distance- about one meter from each side with a little angle down And 2 from the rear of the sweet spot.

Distance - about one meter. and between the 2 rear speakers about 1.5 meter distance again, with a little angle down.

As Dolby recommended in there website.

Hope I cleared things up [:D]

Thank you for your help!!!

Yotam.

Now, because the distance from the side and rear walls I'll have to mount the speakers from the ceiling.

Let me know how you manage that, as I have to ceiling mount a pair of KG 2.5's, and I'm trying to figure out how without making it look like a night club.

You have a lot of optios with that space. If I were you, I'd do bookshelves in the rear, and I'm actually 50/50 on the sides. You could go either way on bookshelves or surrounds. I'm not a huge fan of ceiling mounting dipole speakers as wall reflections can be part of the effect. For the rears, you don't need the enveloping effects that dipole speakers provide, so save a little money there.