Time to re-visit phantom center - DTS vs. DD 5.1

t-man

OK guys, it's been months of testing and I think I've found the best way to tackle MANY of the DVDs currently out there. At least in my collection and rental preferences anyway.

The question is: What is the best center channel to use with my mains, and is it better to just go without one. HornEd helped do some testing on this a while back, and I would recommend reading the thread if you haven't done so already.

What I have found with my KG 5.5 and KLF C7 front array is quite interesting. Here's the verdict: for DTS soundtracks, the sound is most always better when using a phantom center. For the same movie or concert that has both DD and DTS soundtracks, there is little difference between phantom and "center on" when listening to the DD portion. In fact, things DO seem to sound a little better with the center ON for DD 5.1 soundtracks. However, this depeneds. Take Gone in 60 Seconds for example. This movie sounds much better with the center channel than in phantom mode. Other movies are less noticeable. Most concerts sound better without a center channel even when mixed in DD, but this depends as well, and is quite a subtle difference. I have yet to find a DTS soundtrack that sounds better with my center channel as opposed to phantom mode.

My wife is about to kill me, so I better stop comparing. The first 10 minutes of movies are very brutal for her as I keep switching in/out the center speaker modes! So based on my sampling, I have decided to do the following: Watch DTS DVDs in Phantom, and DD DVDs with center on (set to small). Of course if you don't have a partner ready to shoot you during viewing, I would recommend a quick sampling of audio including dialoge and action of all your movies/videos as you watch them in both phantom and "center on", and use what's best for that particular DVD and viewing position in your room. It only takes a moment, and it's worth it to know that you are listening to the best option.

These are my opinions. I hope they may help you out. Of course, all listening comparisons were done "on axis" during testing with all speakers calibrated correctly with AVIA test tones and SPL meter.

Peace,

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KLF-C7 (center)

KG 1 (rears)

SVS 20-39CS+ (sub)

Aura Bass Shakers (pair)

Kenwood amp for sub and shakers

Denon AVR 681/1601

T-Man, the tests of the Center channel using a KLF-C7 is part of the reason for constructing a center channel out of a KLF-30.

I was never able to get the KLF-C7 to achieve the balance and transparency of the modified KLF-30 as a Center. It is my suspicion that if you built a Center channel out of a KG 5.5 that you would have similar results.

I have also made this test with the Klipschorns with a Belle in the Center and had simililar results as with the all KLF-30 rig.

My take on it is that 5.1 DVD's are so dependant on the center channel that to get the full impact one must have a Center that more closely matches the Mains than is popularly supposed. In effect, when you create a Phantom Center you are ideally matching the Mains. But, when you can match the Mains AND have a Center location... you see and hear the movie the way it was supposed to be seen and heard!

Few things that can be done to modify a 5.1 (or above) system carry the positive impact of a Center that is identical to the Mains. We all have a high regard for PWK... and that is what he does in his home. Video Essentials is one of the most popular audio set-up disks, and that's what they recommend.

Why even the cutting edge multi-channel music recorded on SACD begs for five identical speakers. Indeed, many of those who haven't embraced multi-channel music may change their mind if they heard it on five identical speakers. Hearing five channel music on two mains, a scaled down center, and some ambient sound sprayers in the rear... is like looking at the object of your affection through a kaleidascope... you might find a few interesting parts but you never quite get the real deal.

Yes, there are those who say "HornED's a maverick"... and that's probably true. But, how far out am I when my music system is modeled after Mr. Paul... and my HT is a logical extention of PWK's sound example. And how far out is PWK's example if it fits the expert opinions found in DVD, SACD, etc. who mix the source material we play?

And beyond all else... my ears... and those of my guests... tell me that six well positioned identical monopole speakers with ADEQUATE subwoofer support provide a standard of excellence that far too few now enjoy. The test that T-Man suggests is just the first clue. Also, under these idealized conditions, dts pulls away from DD by a far greater margin IMHO... particularly when hearing the comparison with the revealing detail of Heritage honesty. -HornED

PS: With that I shall head out in the motorhome to my private club retreat in the Santa Cruz Mountains... to enjoy (I hope) the Friday, May 3rd miracle of reaching the age of 64... with so much yet to learn... it's gonna be a long weekend!cwm16.gif

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 05-02-2002 at 11:10 AM