Early Heresy Uses Electrovoice SP12

tubav

I believe early Heresy's routinely used the SP12B -- that was the standard woof for the "K-Ortho-12" 3-way speaker system.

Not much choice but to "use" it. A passive electro-mechanical crossover propagates frequences above 4000 Hz, extending the SP-12 or 12B to 13,000. No ability to cut it out, as far as I know.

Besides, the early K-Orthos crossed the mid horn at 1000 Hz and the tweet at 5000 Hz, so the extended frequencies would appear to be needed.

Well, I'm pretty sure the whizzer cone is the shallow horn-like flair surrounding the dust cap, not too hard to miss:

!CDZrY+!EWk~$(KGrHqV,!lMEz+4(R+8CBNOcVTM
The earliest Heresy's had K-1000 MR horns and I thought the xovers were called the K-1000-5000, but could be wrong.
The whizzer would indeed whizz if the electromechanical crossover was 4,000 Hz and the MR didn't cross until 5,000. Besides, those points are not brick-wall cutoff points -- if 6db/octave, at least an octave above and below would be desirable, and audible if missing.

Well, I'm pretty sure the whizzer cone is the shallow horn-like flair surrounding the dust cap, not too hard to miss:

%21CDZrY+%21EWk~$%28KGrHqV,%21lMEz+4%28R
The earliest Heresy's had K-1000 MR horns and I thought the xovers were called the K-1000-5000, but could be wrong.
The whizzer would indeed whizz if the electromechanical crossover was 4,000 Hz and the MR didn't cross until 5,000. Besides, those points are not brick-wall cutoff points -- if 6db/octave, at least an octave above and below would be desirable, and audible if missing.

5k was the squawker to tweeter crossover point, woofer to midrange was the 900 or 1k point.

I was very tempted to buy a pair of the SP12B to replace torn cone woofers in my Heresy I, but I found a nice pair of Speakerlab W1200R, and was feeling a bit nerveous about the EV being so old, and I think close to $200 if you need to recone them. Also many are 16 ohm, not sure how that would work, but some at least appear to be 8 ohm. I haven't learned that much about them except they look very nice.