New KSW-12, please Help

I just purchased a new KSW-12 and have a question about the manual. It says for the LEVEL input, "Suggested control position for initial setup: 10 to 12 o'clock." Do they mean setting 10 to 12 as marked on the knob? Or do they mean 10 to 12 o'clock as I would look at a clock? The latter is a considerably lower setting. Which is recommended.

I realize that setting a level is up to user preference, but I'm new at this and want to try a good starting point. I've been without a subwoofer and not sure what I like yet.

Last question, is there a good way to setup your subwoofer without using a sound meter? I have an AVIA setup DVD, but no sound meter yet. Any recommendations on setting it up for proper balance without one? Or do I need to shell out some bucks?

Thanks,

Larry

Solo....my recommendation for both your questions is to shell out. A decent SPL meter can be had for around $30 at Rat Shack. Well worth the investment. Your Avia disk is pretty much useless for sound calibration without one.

Despite what the manual says, I would setup according to the recommended process as described in the Avia setup or if your receiver is so equipped, hit the test tone button that sequentially sends pink noise to all your speakers and set the levels all the same as represented by your new meter in your primary listening spot. That would be your 'good starting point'. From there, tweak and tweak again until you get it where YOU want it.

------------------

Ed

I prefer to turn the level all the way up on the amp and use the receiver's +/- settings to dial it in via an SPL meter. That way if/when you do decide to really crank it up the amp will be up to the task, otherwise it might clip and destroy the speaker. Been there done that cwm36.gif

Larry,

I'm testing a KSW-12 to add to my 4 RF-3's.

The best results are reached when placing the sub in a corner on the other side of the room (not on the wall of the front speakers (experimental)).Try different locations according to the results below. To set the right volume:

Just play some 2 channel music. Pay attention to

- the room response. Don't let it get boomy.

- make sure you can't localize the sub. (from the sweet spot stand up, close your eyes and keep them closed. spin around (until you feel drunk). If you can now easily locate the sub then either the level is to high or your cut-off frequency is not 80Hz or below. Maybe you have to try another place for the sub.

The level on my KSW-12 is now on 6.(on the receiver 0db) I should test this method against an SPL meter!!

I even use the sub for stereo now. It extends the RF-3's

very nicely.

Dono yet if I will keep it??

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-909RDS

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3 tFTP

Rear: RF-3 tFTP

Center: RC-3 tFTP

I would just like to respnd to the above post about turning the level on the sub all the way up so the amp doesnt clip in it. That is dead wrong that is a gain control and as such the higher its set the more likely the amp is to clip with the same input signal. You should experiment with your combination some recievers with high voltage sub outs dont require as much gain as others but setting it to highest for reliebailty is just plain crazy that makes it much more likely to clip.

beware sub settings on the preamp that may not wake up the sub as often or easily. i found not to set the sub output from the preamp/sub preout below flat (0). instead use the sub's output control to balance w/ the other speaks. turning up the sub's output doesn't effect how readily it wakes up. just don't want anybody missing any bass. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Couldnt help myself and bought it.

rennocneb, your right on that, but I don't think you can damage the KSW-12 as I noticed a fuse on the connection pannel.

boa, that was also an issue. The KSW-12 wakes-up very quick. Receiver output 0dB adjusted.

Oh, have to adjust my signature.

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-909RDS

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3 tFTP

Rear: RF-3 tFTP

Center: RC-3 tFTP