Klipsch S4 headphones just dont want to fit my ears at all

darkbanana4

I got a pair of S4s about a week ago and I've really been trying to like them but I just cant get a comfortable fit. The L buds are too big, the S are too small and the M keep falling out after a few minutes.I try to dig them into my ear but that just makes my ear hurt afterwards. I also tried rotating them around with little success. I cant seem to find a good seal to get that good quality everyones raving about. Can anyone suggest something? I'd really like to enjoy these headphones but if I cant, I'm going to have to return them.

Hard to tell.

I'd suggest you go back to the large.

Look at them with the resilient bud toward you. Look for the major axis (the longer dimension) of the oval cross section. Twist the bud so that the major axis intersects where the wire enters the driver (in this view, the driver is behind the resilient cone). That puts the major axis a few degrees different from being parallel with the wire. This is a starting point and you should play with a little plus or minus a few degrees, even if paralllel to the wire.

The above is important. In my experience, if you twisted the oval cone 90 degrees from that orientation, you can still get a temporary seal, but then it pops out. It is possible to mis-interpret this as a wrong size rather than a wrong orientation. It could feel too big because the oval of your ear canal is at 90 degrees from the bud.

Overall the wrong alignment is + rather than ||. Best I can pick out on a keyboard. Not crossed axes, but parallel axes. To state the obvious.

Make sure that you are putting the left on the left and right on the right (they are marked, L and R). This means you're inserting them so that the hole (in the conical section) is pointing somewhat toward your nose, rather than the back of your head.

I'm saying to use the large based on my good experience. It seems to me that the oval cone should engage the outer edge of the ear canal. You're not trying to get all the bud all in the ear canal. Probably more like half or 2/3 rds.

Addition by edit. I see there is a somewhat similar question in a very recent post. But there it is an issue that one side works and the other does not.

I had a similar issue with a Custom.

It seems to me that if you have one side working, the goal is to adjust the other to mimic the good set up. You have to place the right and left in your respective hands with the hole facing you. Remember these should be somewhat mirror images. The key is to find the major axis of the oval cone (a bit of a contradition, but you get it) and some marker on the driver behind it as you view.

Wm McD

You might want to try the upside-down insertion too. You put the left bud into the left ear, but with the wire facing up; and then wrap the wire up and around the back of your ear. That's how I use my S4's & S5's since the little flap of skin in front of my ear (the tragus) interferes with the wire down method of insertion.

• 4 weeks later...

Try these, they are comfortable and create a seal that helps sound quality.

http://www.complyfoam.com/products/Tx-100/ .

I use the large, but what I would do is get one package of Mixed (1 each sm, med, lg) so you can figure out which ones to get going forward.

I lost my S4, getting the S4A when those are finally released so my stockpile of these don't go to waste. I really miss my S4! :)