Time to upgrade an old Denon receiver?

lel

I have Denon AVR-1801 receiver that I purchased almost 11 years ago. It can decode DTS. I have 5.1 setup and my old receiver did a great job while watching DVD's and BluRay disks. I use a coaxial cable to connect a DB player to the receiver. Lately I have watched several DB movies where I have noticed that my rear speakers do not produce any sound. The soundtrack on these disks was in "DTS-HD Master Audio". I expected this new format to be compatible with DTS but it apparently isn't unless I am doing something wrong. I read that receiver can't handle new HD formats when connected with coaxial cable. Is it a problem I am experiencing? Digital output on DB player is set to "DTS re-encode".

Unforgettably my DB player does not have 5.1 or 7.1 analog output, so a can't connect it to the receiver with analog cables.

Does it make sense to upgrade a receiver at this point? What would you recommend if my budget is around $500? I want a receiver with 7.1 analog input and 7.1 pre-out, HDMI inputs and able to decode DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD.

I have Denon AVR-1801 receiver that I purchased almost 11 years ago. It can decode DTS. I have 5.1 setup and my old receiver did a great job while watching DVD's and BluRay disks. I use a coaxial cable to connect a DB player to the receiver. Lately I have watched several DB movies where I have noticed that my rear speakers do not produce any sound. The soundtrack on these disks was in "DTS-HD Master Audio". I expected this new format to be compatible with DTS but it apparently isn't unless I am doing something wrong. I read that receiver can't handle new HD formats when connected with coaxial cable. Is it a problem I am experiencing? Digital output on DB player is set to "DTS re-encode".

Unforgettably my DB player does not have 5.1 or 7.1 analog output, so a can't connect it to the receiver with analog cables. Does it make sense to upgrade a receiver at this point? What would you recommend if my budget is around $500? I want a receiver with 7.1 analog input and 7.1 pre-out, HDMI inputs and able to decode DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD.

I fear that's correct! HDMI is required....The next thing would be ARC with 3D, but there is a workaround with two HDMI outs when watching 3D. You should take into account all these and see what best you can get from your budget. You might get a good used gear to suffice your requirements, if look around persistently and lucky.

Good luck in your search...

After tweaking my DB player settings I managed to get the sound from the surround speakers. Thus currently I am getting DTS sound from DB disks instead of DTS-HD. Will I even hear the difference if I upgrade to a receiver capable to decode TrueHD? Will it sound better of is it just a marketing trick to keep people buying new stuff? I am not interested in 3-D, but sound quality improvement is important for me.

Thus currently I am getting DTS sound from DB disks instead of DTS-HD. Will I even hear the difference if I upgrade to a receiver capable to decode TrueHD? Will it sound better of is it just a marketing trick to keep people buying new stuff?

IMO, there is a very discernable difference in DTS-MA vs DTS and Dolby TrueHD vs DD. I think all aspects of sound improve with the new HD codecs.

If your BD player has multichannel analog outputs and your receiver has multichannel analog inputs, you can take advantage of these new codecs by letting your player decode the formats. Run HDMI from player to TV and 5.1 or 7.1 RCA's to your receiver and go to player setup menu.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/How_To_Set_up_a_Blu-ray_Player_Using_Multi-Channel_Analog_Outputs_And_Why.shtml

Or just get a receiver with HDMI that can handle the decoding.

Bill

Willland, unfortunately my BD player does not have analog 5.1 or 7.1 output. When I bought it I was not smart enough to look at this feature.

I am currently considering Marantz SR5005 - looks like it has all I need for now (HDMI 1.4a and all new codecs) and has 7.1 input and 7.1 pre-out to cover my future needs. Amazon sells it for $488. Is it a good choice for this money or are there alternatives worth considering in the same price range?