Trying to match new rear surrounds with older RB/RC/RS-35 speakers

dewthedru

About 5 years ago I bought a RC-35, a pair of RB-35 for the front, and 3 RS-35's for the side and rear surround for a 6.1 setup. I've now moved into a new house and want to have a 7.1 system but don't know enough about either my current system or the newer options that are available to proceed.

I started looking for an additional RS-35 for the rears but can't find a single one anywhere and don't know where to proceed. I've read here and elsewhere that a set of bookshelf speakers actually works well as rear surrounds, especially if you're going to be sitting a decent distance away from them. I'm considering the following options and would love your thoughts/additional suggestions.

- Getting a set of RF-35's off ebay for the front and moving the RB-35's to the rear

- Putting a set of RS-42 II speakers in the rear

- Adding a smaller set of bookshelf speakers to the rear. However, I've got no idea which one's to pick. There's someone here selling a set of RB-51 II's. Will those work?

- Waiting until another RS-35 shows up for sale here/ebay/craiglist/etc.

Thanks for your help!

4 feet? hmmm...i was planning on putting them on the back wall, approx 13 feet behind the main listening position. why would the 51's only be good up to 4 feet and what would be preferrable at that distance.

sorry for all the nOOb questions.

Those aren't real big speakers. You will get very little from placing those (or any) bookshelves so far back. I have RF-25 towers placed 8 foot behind me and I would prefer they be about two foot closer. If your only option is 13 foot away, I wouldn't have rear surrounds at all, but that's just me. Maybe if you turn your amp way up it won't matter. How far away from your mains do you sit?

i'll likely be sitting 7-8 feet away from the fronts. i do have the ability to adjust the volume on the rear speakers so hopefully i'll be able to turn them up enough to help if i get bookshelf speakers. keep in mind, it's just a basement living room remodel. nothing like you have so i'm not trying to get the best possible setup. somewhere in the middle of what i think is good and what my wife thinks is sufficient is the goal. [:)]

i'll likely be sitting 7-8 feet away from the fronts. i do have the ability to adjust the volume on the rear speakers so hopefully i'll be able to turn them up enough to help if i get bookshelf speakers. keep in mind, it's just a basement living room remodel. nothing like you have so i'm not trying to get the best possible setup. somewhere in the middle of what i think is good and what my wife thinks is sufficient is the goal. Smile

I hope it works![:D]

• 2 weeks later...