KHz reproduction on SF-2

okinawamike

Hey Okinawamike, I couldn't help the okinawa part in your name. I was over there from 1994-2000 where are you located. I lived on Camp Kinser and worked at Camp Foster. What do you think of those awesome A/V deals at the AAFES exchanges? Does Klipsch still RULE in the speaker sections? They did when I was there.

Here's my A/V Beast I bought when I was there.

4 La scalas

5 Heresey II

1 Pair KLF 30's

1 Pair KLF 20's

1 KT-LCR

1 Pair JBL L-7's

1 KSW 300

1 KSW 200

1 Kenwood SW 300 ( Please don't laugh) it was my first sub I didn't know what I was doing.

Yamaha DSP A-1 Intragrated Amp (DTS)

Yamaha A/V Receiver RX-V2095 (DTS)

Panasonic DVD A310

Adcom GCD-700

Adcom GCD-750

Adcom GFP-750 Pre Amp

Adcom GFA 5503 Amp

Adcom GFA 5500 Amp

Adcom GFA 6000 Amp

Onkyo M-508 Power Amp biggrin.gif

The reason I ask (and I could be getting my technology confused here) is that with the new DVD-Audio format, the discs are encoded at 24-bit with 96 KHz sampling. The manual for my DVD player states that if your speakers can not handle higher frequencies, keep the filter set to a maximum sample of 60 Khz. I would like to experience the full range of audio, which I may lose if I keep the filter set at 60 KHz vice 110 KHz. The Klipsch site states the following specs for the Synergy series: (I'll give the SF-2 for simplicity)

Sensitivity: 96db@1 watt/1 meter

What does that mean, anyway?

Apparently, DVD-Video has the soundtracks encoded at a much lower sampling rate, lower than 60 Khz. I realize that 96 KHz is getting above what my ears can hear anyway, I just want to know if I can utilize the full potential of the format. Does that make sense?

By the way, tljraj, the exchanges dont have the sales they used to. I did find my receiver on sale there, but I have bought my DVD player from a local Kenwood store (AAFES doesnt even carry it) and I got my speakers online from other dealers. Okinawa is great though, thank God for COLA, how else would I pay for all this!!!!!!! I live off base, near Awase, and work on Kadena. It is an experience just trying to find enough transformers and cables to hook this stuff up! Great time though!!! Dont ever want to leave!!!

OM - Now your question becomes clear...

The sensitivity of a speaker refers to how loud it plays at a given input level measured at a given distance. 96db@1watt/1meter means the speaker will put out 96db of sound when fed with 1 watt of input signal and measured at 1 meter. It is kind of like "miles per gallon." Most speakers are in the 88-90db range. Klipsch are almost always way more efficient than other speakers. To give you an idea of the impact of that, keep in mind that your amp has to put out twice as much power to increase sound levels by 3db. So, compared to a speaker with 90db, the SF-2 takes 1/4 the power to create the same volume. Conversely, it would take 4 times as much power for the 90db speaker to create 96db as the SF-2.

The sampling rate (96khz for example) refers to how many times PER SECOND (96,000) the "computer" reads the signal coming from the disk (takes a "sample"), not to a sound frequency. The higher the sampling rate, the more accurate the reproduction. Think of a motion picture -- the more frames per second that are shot of live action, the more accurate the replay of the action. But notice that to have accurate replay you must have accurate encoding, done at a high sampling rate as well.

You can enjoy the full potential of the format if you have source material encoded at the high sampling rates (HDCD CD's, DVD-Audio, SACD) and a decoder (DAC) that can handle the high rate. The DAC will pass an analog signal to your pre-amp/amp, and then on to the speakers. The actual sound will still probably be in the 20-20,000hz range.

Doug