Klipsch Icon Set-up Suggestions Please

technojerry

hello everyone! my name is jerry and this is my first time posting on this board. here is alittle info about my set-up: Samsung pn59d7000 hdtv, Denon 1612 receiver, Klipsch vf-36, Klipsch kc-25 and old sony surrounds and sub. Now, here is some details about my purchases: Best Buy had the vf-36's on sale for $449 (pair), which sounded like an awesome deal. They were the last ones and couldn't pass them up. The kc-25 was a spontaneous buy and probably not the best option to pair with the vf-36's. As for the Sony's, they have been sitting in my basement for quite some time and figure, what the hell, better than no surrounds and same thing for the sub. If you're wondering about my hdtv purchase, plasma was the only option since online video games (CoD) is a hobby of mine. The pn59d7000 received Consumer Reports first ever excellent ratings for a 3D hdtv. It also received their highest overall rating (84). Now, here is my first question(s): (1) what would be a better choice for a center to pair with the vf-36's? The system will mainly be used for movies and watching tv on Dish Network. (2) what is a good set of surrounds for this set-up? The budget is around $300 for each (surrounds, center), so a total of $600.

Here are some suggestions. Return the VF's and buy the synergy speakers that match that center which gives you the option to match the rears to it as well. You can also check out audiogon, ebay and criagslist to see if you can find the matching VF surrounds and center. The VF line was made specifically for bestbuy, atleast it was at the time and i believe they phased them out. I always felt the wuality of the synergy and ref lines were better or even the ICON W or ICON X lines in quality. I hated that the vf line didnt allow you to or i am dumb and couldnt, remove the speaker grills to see the drivers. Any speaker brand IMO that doesnt allow you to view the drivers is junk and they are hiding something. Call it a consumer petpeev if you will. Good choiceon receiver and tv though!

Also, how do you think the center you have pairs with the vf's right?

Many of us buy used, all of my gear is used, none of it is brand new in regards to speakers that is.

The center is pretty good, but the Energy CC-10 might be a better choice. It cost about $60 more than the KC-25. The VF-36's are great, no complaints and a good price to boot.The KC-25 center has a nice deep sound and voice is pretty good. However, the Energy CC-10, is more crisp and clear when it comes to voices, but lacks the depth.

The center is pretty good, but the Energy CC-10 might be a better choice. It cost about $60 more than the KC-25. The VF-36's are great, no complaints and a good price to boot.The KC-25 center has a nice deep sound and voice is pretty good. However, the Energy CC-10, is more crisp and clear when it comes to voices, but lacks the depth.

Honestly, I think the KC-25 is a good choice to pair with the VF-36s considering that the new Icon K line is basically the new model to the Icon V line (similarly to the RC-35 vx RC-62). I would also go with the Klipsch Icon 5.25 inch surrounds to match up. They use the same tweeter and similar woofers. FWIW, I have the Icon WF-35s and RF-82s and prefer the sound of the Icon Ws to the Reference series when I A/B them for 2 channel music (although the Reference line goes much deeper and the center and surrounds in the Icon don't quite match up to the Reference series).

Hey Jerry. I see that you are in Michigan. I actually work for Magnolia at the Best Buy in Taylor, south of Detroit. What store did you buy the center channel from? I can do a search for you tomorrow for the matching center and surrounds. If any Best Buy's still have any in stock, they are going to be dirt cheap since they are clearanced. I use the VS-14 as my surrounds and I have zero complaints. I actually find them to be too loud sometimes. Most of my audiophile coworkers are always really impressed with how good my surrounds sound. If I remember, I'll check it out tomorrow.

Hey, I checked out some Icons at BB. The VS-14 surrounds are still availible at a couple stores. From what I could tell, the Southfield and the Allen Park store had one or two pairs availible. I think they were like $120 or $130. As far as the matching center channel(VC25), no stores have it in stock, but it is still available in the warehouses which means that you can still order it. $140ish if I remember. Go into any Best Buy in the south Detroit area(it has to be a certain cluster of BBs that get their stock from the same warehouse). This center might match more than the new one that you have, but the new one might be better. Not sure. As a side note, I love the Energy center channel. Sonically, though, it won't match your towers. Also, there are a couple stores that still have the VB14 bookshelf speakers in stock. Good luck.

FWIW, the Icon K series looks eerily similar to the Synergy series except for the cabinet and horn. Same bass drivers, almost identical dimensions and weight, same frequency response, very close crossover frequency, basically same sensitivity, both front ported. I suspect that the Icon K is basically a BB exclusive version of the Synergy with a 90x90 horn, and that acoustically they would match the Synergy much better than the older Icon V. However, that may just be speculation...

I want to say thank you to everyone who replied and especially to my fellow michigander. Sorry, I didn't look at your screen name before replying. I ended up taking back the kc25 in exchange for the vc25 and vs14's and $20 left over. It may not be the top of the line but for the money, I won't complain.

• 3 weeks later...

I demo the K series for close to a month and the the V series which i kept. The K series is slighly louder but no improved quality in sound and the V's were so much cheaper. I can go up a db or 2 and saved a ton of money. I really like my V series in a 9.1 setup.

Pioneer Eleite SC 35

Klipsch VF 35 mains

Klipsch VS 14 Front Height

Klipsch VS 14 surrounds

Klipsch VB 15 surround back

Klipsch VC 25 center

AA RW15 sub