Speaker Builder Projects?

DizRotus

EDIT: 10/22/11

The mylar has gone to a forum member to repair Magnepans. The thrust of the thread has changed to Speaker Builder projects. See later posts.

Does any ambitious DIY forum member want the mylar I purchased from Sanders many years ago? I intended to build a pair of the Sanders electrostatics featured in Audio Amature/Speaker Builder. It's still in the box in which Sanders sent it.

I'll pay the postage.

The Speaker Builder article can be seen at: http://www.sanderssoundsystems.com/downloads/speaker_builder_dec_1980_an_electrostatic_speaker_system_Part_II.pdf

The Sanders Systems website: http://www.sanderssoundsystems.com/

Does any ambitious DIY forum member want the mylar I purchased from Sanders many years ago? I intended to build a pair of the Sanders electrostatics featured in Audio Amature/Speaker Builder. It's still in the box in which Sanders sent it.

I'll pay the postage.

The Speaker Builder article can be seen at: http://www.sanderssoundsystems.com/downloads/speaker_builder_dec_1980_an_electrostatic_speaker_system_Part_II.pdf

The Sanders Systems website: http://www.sanderssoundsystems.com/

Glad I didn't see this sooner Diz. I might have been crazy enough to think I'd want to try this as I thought 30 years ago as a subscriber to Speaker Builder that it would be a fun project though maybe beyound my DIY abilities. Probably still is. I have that issue in hard copy and posted at least a photo or two or the Bruce Edgar PA midrange horn

Guess not. It was the 30" EV bass driver project from issue 1 of 1980. Maybe I was thinking of posting about the Bruce Edgar mid horn and never quite got around to doing so.

Fun stuff.

Ben-

I re-read the Sanders article the other day. Roger Sanders describes the construction as "simple." There are few DIY projects I won't tackle, building the electrostatics described in that article would be a challenge.

The forum member (I'll leave it to him to identify himself if he wants) getting the mylar is thinking about using it to refurbish Magnepans. That too would be a daunting challenge.

Realistically, I know that it probably will never be put to use. But, for the cost of postage, it's still in circulation among the audio enthusiast world. There's a much better chance of it being used now, than there has been for the last few decades sitting in a box in my basement on top of a heating duct.

Did you ever build any Speaker Builder projects?

Diz - I never did build any Speaker Builder projects but did build a pair of simple 8" 2 way swith 1" soft dome tweeter started late in college 1985 maybe and finished after married somtime in 1986. 1-1/2 cubic foot ported box soupposedly tuned to 45 hz. Rallyl crappy thrown together crossover that at least protected the tweeters. Maybe $7 in parts for crossovers. Why I didn't build an SB project? No idea in hindsight as was charter subscriber in 1980 for at least 2 or 3 years and I think have all of 1980 issues.

Well I supposed compared to building curved electrostatics building a flat one is simple but that looked complicated enought to me that I'd never do it or be in way over my head. Interesting that Roger Sanders after building the first curved electrostatics went back to flat. The sweet spot of an electrostatic is very seductive but I've only heard female singer on large Marin Logans and whew. But probably at that time not so good for a rock concert level kick drum or vocals. And while Roger Sanders' speakers and amplifiers are affordable for what appears to be state of the art with amplifiers designed for electrostatics it's till out of my price range. A good pair of big honkin' vintage Klipsch and a $100 t-amp or even a $50 one and it doesn't get much better.

Worst thing was. About 16 months out of college working in Southfield MI in the Detroit area - or was it later working in Plano TX in the Dallas area? I often walked by an open office door of somebody who had contributed at least one project but was too backwards to introduce myself. Or maybe just embarrassed to admit the hack crossovers I'd built. [:$] Probably would've helped me redesign a proper crossover. But nooooooo. Such a young dufus I was. Probably good as the wife might've went nuts starting another speaker building project. Glued on the veneer in our apartment in Detroit area. The old fashioned say. Contact cemt. Still have 'em. Don't sound bad but like crap compared to Heresies or Tannoy SRM 12B we also have. Did replace the woofers from Madisound - still had a different model but Peerless driver with exact same specs. The first move or two I had put grille frames in place I never covred or used, covered with Masonite and packed 'em in box myself. The last move I didn't have time and the movers did wrap in heavy moving blankets pretty well but the college kid carrying the one in had wrapped his hands around edge and wasted a surround. I don't think he noticed as I was watching and I think I had a $50 ro $100 deductible on damage and he was working hard and actaully gently setting down our boxes of stuff - even when he didn't realize he might be watched. Besides. Foam surrounds probably wasn't a bad idea to change 'em. That was 17 years ago will probably dry out and rot soon. The office I'm picturing I think was Southfield but Dallas area sounds better. Have to dig up one of the old Speaker Builders and see. Not in the one you posted.

Love the cover stories. Linkweitz: Theory for a 3-box design. Edgar: P.A. horn for mid-range. Bruce Edgar is very highly regarded in the speaker horn world.

Did you ever build one of their projects? Those "easy" DIY electrostatics looked pretty challenging to me. They had some that looked like fun. Maybe I need to try that Richard N Marsh "A Double Chamber Enclosure" project if that's the one that claimed 35hz from an 8" driver but I think that project was a single 8" in a dual bandbpass kind of box? Or maybe this one.

Ben-

I built Webb transmission line speakers, more than 30 years ago, from plans in Speaker Builder.

That was a 4-way design using KEF B139 woofer, KEF B110 for the midrange, KEF T27 tweeter and Celestion HF2000 super-tweeter. Many years ago I dismantled the large floor standing speakers, sold the cross-overs and the HF200s and made BBC LS3/5A clones from the B110 & T27. The B139s are in transmission line subs. I still use the LS3/5A clones and the subs in my modest HT system.

Speaker Builder was great. I miss it.

• 1 year later...