2 good, 4 bad?

Mabus

When using my 4.1's in two speaker mode the sound is awsome! But when I change to 4 speaker mode there is an over powering amount of static coming from all speakers. Would upgrading my cables solve this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've tried the speakers with two different sound cards and both produced the same static.

TIA

what sound cards?

it is very unlikely to be the speakers. to test that out, get a minis tereo y adapter and hook the promedia's to that, and then that to the soundcard and tell it to do stereo output, not 4 speaker. if you get no static, you can be sure that the problem is the card.

i have heard of this happening with creative cards.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

My Audigy does the same thing.... Creative suggested that the card be on it's own IRQ with PCI Steering as the only other thing that could share that same IRQ. Also the ACPI in BIOS should be disabled and then the OS re-installed over itself. If you are running Win 2K/XP then choose to "repair option" on the re-install...This can be done safely with any Windows product except 95. Santa Cruz cards aren't supposed to be on IRQ 9 and should also be alone or with PCI Steering only. Here's the info from Turtle Beach http://www.tbeach.com/site/kb_ftp/5854066.asp

This message has been edited by gabriel11 on 05-08-2002 at 04:45 PM

quote:

Originally posted by justin_tx_16:

what sound cards?

it is very unlikely to be the speakers. i have heard of this happening with creative cards.

Very unlikely? BS. That's probably exactly what it is. Wonder why I know? I did the same thing in blaming the Audigy only to find out otherwise. Send the sub back.

BTW, got my exchange sub today. 33 days AFTER Klipsch received MY old one. Yes, it fixed my static problem. I changed nothing else.

My speakers sound BEAUTIFUL when hooked to anything (like my Denon portable CD player)except my Audigy...Why would I assume it's my speakers? If I hook them to the Audigy and try 4 speaker sound they all sound awful...If I open the Audigy mixer/fader and move the little yellow thing away from the center default setting....the distortion completely goes away...return it to center default setting...speakers sound like a radio that tuned slightly off the station, namely STATICY. So it's the sub you say? I'll check that out....

This message has been edited by gabriel11 on 05-09-2002 at 06:21 PM

Who said my answer was for your post?

Anyway, for one thing Mabus said he tried 2 different sound cards. Including a "non-creative" one. So what's with that? I had the same problem you do, static when powering all 4 sats EQUALLY. When I moved the "dot" off center it cleared up. The problem was not my audigy which I replaced first. It was a sub/amp power problem. All I can tell you is that I had the exact same problem and it was my sub. If you think it's XP then dual boot and try it in 98SE which is what I run. No irq sharing.

YMMV...

Let me apoligize 1st... Sorry...I edited my original post and it didn't work... I changed the whole "bad drivers" thing with a question regarding what you went through. Also, I didn't think that your post was to me only even if if it does appear that way, again my fault. I tried 2 cards as well, both Audigy though, and was under the impression that it was just a poor card/driver design. There are lot's of complaints out there regarding the Audigy line, so I figured that had to be what was wrong. I will attempt to replace the sub and see what happens, hopefully I get rich clear 4 speaker sound as you did. I appreciate the help... Mahalo nui

This message has been edited by gabriel11 on 05-09-2002 at 06:32 PM

Hey absolutely no problem! I understand where you're coming from. I read the creative NG regularly and was convinced that the Audigy was to blame as well. It does have issues, only one of which is being a scapegoat. And there's that XP irq sharing which isn't the easiest to get rid of.

My prob was a little different in the fact that when I plugged a CD player into the speakers I still had static. When I unplugged one sat. it effectively went away. So after speaking with Amy she suggested some sort of power problem. Or other internal sub circuitry, whatever it was. All is good now. I hope this helps. Good Luck...

Lee