can 7.1 do 9.1?

reynolr

I have an onkyo ht rc180. It says it is a 7.1 receiver. I know they have receivers that say they are 9.1. My question is can I run my onkyo with 9 speakers? 3 main 2 side surround 2 rear surround and 2 front heights? Thanks for your help. What is they difference between the stated 7.1 and 9.1? My onkyo has all the inputs.

Unless your receiver has separate pre-amp or speaker-level outputs for a 9.1 setup you can't do it. The difference is a different amplifier and processing setup in the receiver that allows for front heights and I believe 9.1 can also be configured for front wides.

I guess technically if your receiver has pre-amp outputs for your front main L & R speakers you could feed that to an external 2 channel amp and then power two separate speakers to use as front heights. Definitely wouldn't be recommended, though since those extra speakers would be playing the same information as your front main speakers and would cause several audio abnormalities as a result.

You do realize all of these questions are answered in the owner's manual?

But the short answer is no... you can't do 9.1 because your receiver only has 7 amplifier's in it.

Those amps can be configured several different ways including... 5.1 with bi-amped front speakers, 5.1 with 2 back surrounds, 5.1 with 2 front height, 5.1 with 2 front wide, or multiple rooms/zones.

The difference between 7.1 and 9.1... Blu-Ray supports up to 7.1 channel (L, C, R, SR, SRB, SLB, SL, SW) playback, though not all Blu-Ray discs/movies use all the channels. Some newer receivers/processors support 9.1 channel playback, but the extra 2 channels are generated/derived from the others to allow for the front height or front wide speakers.