La Scalas for TV

Utard

I am thinking of getting a pair of La Scalas from another member on here. I did go and listen to them with some music and really did enjoy them. But my question is how well they go with TV and Movies? I have a 7.1 system and all the other speakers are of the Ref. II type. I guess what I really want to know is how well they go with TV? I would have them hooked up as the front/mains to the A/V receiver. Would they be obnoxious or overwhelming with regular TV? TV would be the most use they would get. If these would not be a good match with lots of TV then I will go with the RF-82 II. Thanks for any info.

I am thinking of getting a pair of La Scalas from another member on here. I did go and listen to them with some music and really did enjoy them. But my question is how well they go with TV and Movies? I have a 7.1 system and all the other speakers are of the Ref. II type. I guess what I really want to know is how well they go with TV? I would have them hooked up as the front/mains to the A/V receiver. Would they be obnoxious or overwhelming with regular TV? TV would be the most use they would get. If these would not be a good match with lots of TV then I will go with the RF-82 II. Thanks for any info.

They will work great for tv. They will work great for any two channel play back. They will work great for 7.1, but be a terrible timbre match to the other 5 speakers. Do not mix and match speaker types for surround sound unless the timbre matches. La Scales & Ref II is not a good match.

The source dosen't matter, the rule still applies: Garbage in, Garbage out!

If your watching TV in HD with DD5.1, you'll be thrilled!

I use my 1979 La Scala's with new Type AA/A convertible crossovers, for HT which includes TV and they sound fantastic.

What year are the ones your looking at and have the crossovers been updated or replaced?

If the crossovers are up to spec., I think you'll be thrilled. La Scalas are amazing speakers!

Dennie

If you get a third La Scala for the center channel it would be great. When the sound pans from left to right everything will match. I have a miss match in the center and it drives me nuts. The rear channels being mismatch, even with a different amp is not nearly as noticable.

the timbre matches La Scales & Ref II is not a good match.

I have seen a lot of people talk about this. But I do not really get it. Or better said maybe I have not experienced it yet. I have for the most part had years of a system with KLH and Advents on a 4.0 system. Now with mostly Ref. II and rear surrounds Advent. Then and now I have not really noticed any bad sound with different speakers. I guess I can see it with different mains and with the center but with the surrounds? The surrounds are mostly intermittent sound or a low volume.

Has anyone done this type of setup and been so unhappy with it they could not take it?

I use my 1979 La Scala's with new Type AA/A convertible crossovers, for HT which includes TV and they sound fantastic.

What year are the ones your looking at and have the crossovers been updated or replaced?

If the crossovers are up to spec., I think you'll be thrilled. La Scalas are amazing speakers!

Dennie

The are 1983 LaScala's with the professional AL Crossovers.

If you get a third La Scala for the center channel it would be great. When the sound pans from left to right everything will match. I have a miss match in the center and it drives me nuts. The rear channels being mismatch, even with a different amp is not nearly as noticable.

La Scalas all the way around would be Ideal! I would love that!! cloud9.gif

I put together a complete "matching" KEF Q series HT and I loved it. Then I found the La Scalas and the KEF Q-7 Mains are pulling closet duty. I completely understand the speakers matching expreience and there is nothing like it. But, with that being said, I don't have room for 7, or even 5 La Scalas in my HT/Living room. So, I've left the KEF's in place, the center, side surrounds and rear surrounds. Do they sound like the La Scalas? No, but I do enjoy the KEF speakers and I don't let the "Timbre" matching bother me, I don't even notice a difference. My KEF HT with La Scalas as Mains ROCKS! Ask anyone who's watched a movie here.

If Timbre matching bothers you, then yes, you will need 5 or 7 of the same speaker. But Utard, if it dosen't then you'll have a ROCKIN' HT with La Scalas as mains and it dosen't get much better than that. In my humble opinion.

Dennie

IMO, Heresy speakers could make up the other 5 speakers nicely. Perfect timbre match, and also efficient. Cost-wise you are looking at about $150-200 per Heresy, and they are hard to find in singles. If you have the room, you can get more LaScalas like me, but if the room is normal sized, it's Heresies.

Dennie

The are 1983 LaScala's with the professional AL Crossovers.

If you think the price is fair, you won't be sorry! I have to warn you though, you may fall in love with 2 channel music, as I did, then you'll be adding a turntable, dedicated SACD Player, CD's, SACD, Records, etc.....!

DON'T DO IT MAN!!!!!!

.......... rolling.gif

I read your other post about "Timbre" matching. Go get your La Scalas!! welcomeconfetti.gif

Dennie

IMO, Heresy speakers could make up the other 5 speakers nicely. Perfect timbre match, and also efficient. Cost-wise you are looking at about $150-200 per Heresy, and they are hard to find in singles. If you have the room, you can get more LaScalas like me, but if the room is normal sized, it's Heresies.

I would have to believe your HT sounds Fantastic!!!

Congratulations Man!! bravo.gif

Dennie, who needs a bigger house!! whistle.gif