electronification and preamp appliance plugs, or not.

oldmako

I'm using two Niles SPK switching units. In order for them to function as intended they must be powered by a receiver to "sense" current flow and use this signal to operate their relays (??? guessing as I am a total dolt and know zits about electrons).

IOW, I am running the same speaks in 2 and 4 channel mode using two diff amps through the SPKs.

I bought one of the Panasonic SA XR receivers to see what all the fuss was about but I am unable to use it because it doesn't have plug sockets in the back for other components. On my Denon AVR3600 I use the plugs to "drive" the SPKs. When the Denon is on, the SPKs send the signal from the Denon. And when its off, they send the signal from the sonic turd.

Is there another way to wire the SPK mofos up in order to use the SA XR?

Or should I just go an refresh my cocktail and forget about the whole shebang?

Do you have some old wall warts (DC transformers) from some old cordless phone or other device? You should probably check them to see if they produce 12 volts DC. Test with a multimeter to verify voltage and +-. From the Niles SPK specs: SPK-1 Is Activated By 12Volt DC Signal (100mA Minimum)

Cut off the tip and wire into the "control in" connections. Plug wall wart into power strip to switch at will.

THEN go refresh your cocktail [D]

This worked well for me.