RS-7s for Front Heights?

Gorm

This might sound like an absurd Idea.

I have three sets of RS-7s now at my disposal. I've been toying with the idea of setting a pair for front heights. I run the receiver in Dolby Pro Logic IIz via Audyssey 9.2. Currently I have RB-5 II speakers there for heights now.

From my information I have found, the heights are designed to complment the surround information, if this was the case, there shouldn't be to much directed sound in those speakers.

I am curious to anyones thoughts.

Thanks.

hook up the rs-7's to your l/r channels and listen to them in stereo, this will give you a better idea of their performance in a similar configuration. Give it a try, whats the worst that can happen? If you dont like it put the rb-5's back and double up the rs-7's in your ears, i did that before, helps to enlarge your rear soundstage..

I use front height speaker and have used bookshelf and the wide dispersion speakers for that purpose. They both work well for front height. Personally I like the wide dispersion speakers due to asthetic, and since they are for adding a vertical dimension to the front stage. The should not be to powerful compared the your mains. I really like my 9.1 setup for movies. The setup plays well to the wide array of blue-ray and dvd formats.

I will try it out. Got home tongiht and disconnected everything but the front heights...them seem to play material from the mains. Being such a small room, (12 feet across) i'm not sure the WD type speakers would help anything up front. It does the RF-7s a nice vertical image though.

That is what the Front Height speaker do, work kinda as an extra presence speaker for the mains. Only if a movie is encoded for front height's will you get it's own special effects. Some other blue-rays will localizetu certain parts of a movie to the height channel if your system can make use of the spatial imaging data encoded in the movie. But, Front Height channel will give you more of an effect than the rear surround backs. I did not think that I would like it so much, but now it is one of my favorite movie modes.