Onkyo 609/509, Sub sw-350 with new Quintet 5.0?

AYP

I am going to order quintet tomorrow. do you think sw-350 will be enough for 15x12 room? i don't need whole neighbourhood to shake, i just need clear beautiful sound with reasonable bass without distortion. And i am thinking about Onkyo 609, do you think it is good choice? and won't burn quintet (50watts)? or should i look for less powerfull 509

Best

I think your sub will work fine for your set-up. The 509 will have plenty of power, however, if you think there is a possibility that you might upgrade in the next 5 years, you might consider the 709 as it has pre-outs. The pre-outs allow for additional amplification for really big speakers. On the other hand, if you will not upgrade, or if you are more likely to buy a bigger system and move this to a second area, I'd go with the 509.

I am going to order quintet tomorrow. do you think sw-350 will be enough for 15x12 room? i don't need whole neighbourhood to shake, i just need clear beautiful sound with reasonable bass without distortion. And i am thinking about Onkyo 609, do you think it is good choice? and won't burn quintet (50watts)? or should i look for less powerfull 509 Best

There is a misconception that big speakers will always be loud and will always shake the neighborhood and it simply is not the case. When you have a larger speaker, it simply has a higher output capacity (generally speaking of course). The quintet series is great and when you pair it with a subwoofer it completes the audible frequency spectrum for you. Also what Jason said above, its better to get the upgraded model which has preouts incase you ever want to upgrade to an outboard amp. Keep in mind, all because an amplifier can produce 100 watts per channel doesnt mean that it is producing 100 watts all of the time, it is variable as you turn the volume knob and increases as the volume increases. Small speakers begin to fail when the output desired isnt obtainable or the sound it puts out is too small sounding.

Big speakers can be quiet as a church mouse and dont have to shake the neighborhood but can if you want them too. The biggest perk to having large speakers is the size and depth of sound they can produce. One thing i have noticed in my speaker travels is that the larger the woofers the larger the sound is produced. I dont mean amplitudfe (volume) or bass shaking capabilities but the fact that the sound is more enveloping and creates a bigger soundstage.

There are many factors that go into a speaker purchase and i always commend people for hitting these forums before making a purchase. Like i said above i have made a ton of speaker purchases and part of thst is because i have upgradetitus and i have a compulsion to upgrade at almost any chance. My other reason is that every speaker has an individual sound and i wanted to hear as many as possible to see what sounds best to me.

Everyone has a different budget and everyone has a different desire on how indepth they want to get with their audio systems. For most, this is once or twice type thing, they get it, it works and they just enjoy, for others like myself, we are on these boards everyday and constantly changing and upgrading or sawpping out pieces of our system.

Thanks for being very helpful as always. I chose Quintets as alternate to HD500 which was my only choice some months back because of space concerns and budget. But when i heard local dealer has Quintet in stock i jumped and ordered these. I don't see myself upgrading sound equipment anytime soon in few years or probably next 10 years if nothing fails. I have heard Quintet II and i totally prefered sound of quintets over Jamos (i have ordered latest quintet series)

Subwoofer: Well sw-350 costs around 350$ and sw-450 costs 420$. If 450 is significantly good then i can spend on it the budget i have kept for wiring, and settle with cheap but reasonable wires.

Though i enjoy quality sound but i have other main hobby/passion which also require $$$, so i wont call myself frequent upgrader of sound systems.

I live in Pakistan, i appreciate all recommendations but unfortunately i cannot buy online or have many options like you guys and dealers seems to have monoply over prices. I will also check 709.

Best regards