Static Pop

A1UC

I have a problem it is driving me crazy , I run my cable box threw my avr " hdmi " when I change channels I get a slight static pop out of my left speaker .

I tried 3 diffrent boxes and 3 diffrent avr units , today it hit me what if I remove the coax cable and see what happens " noise is gone I can go threw the channels

and no noise , I hook the coax back up noise is there . I tried a monster power condtioner still dont help . Is this a ground problem ?

if vol is set to -80 db which is the lowest it still makes the same slight pop , now if I go down one more on the vol I get - - - - - - - what ever that is and then there is no pop when changing channels until I go up one to -80 db I also get a pop from going from -80db to - - - - - and from - - - - - to -80db

I dont know if - - - - - is mute or not but is one lower than the -80db setting

This is treating the symtom, and not the problem. There must be something in the left channel circuitry of the cable box causing this. You could complain to the cable company, and try a new box.

Yeah it is but if you have used a lot of different equipment over the years you would have used some amps that thump as they get turned on and off, pre-amps that have switch noise and other weird behavior. One of my current pre-amps has a auto muting feature, and makes super quiet transitions but I've had others that were loud during switching. Some of these issues cannot be fixed. So if you have an issue that goes away with the volume turned down, it's a workable solution, even if it isn't the ideal solution.

You have a ground loop, not uncommon when a cable connection is made on AV equipment. Buy an in-line isolation transformer to go between the cable and cable input, like Parts Express # 180-075, under $10.

Don, would that work? The web site says:

Note: Interferes with digital cable, cable modem, and satellite TV operation.

You have a ground loop, not uncommon when a cable connection is made on AV equipment. Buy an in-line isolation transformer to go between the cable and cable input, like Parts Express # 180-075, under $10.

I'd speculate it would not work, since it says right there in the description. The Jensen is available for about $50. I wonder if the cable company has anything like that they would provide? If it is one of the bigger cable companies, perhaps they get this a lot.

Okay , I have a Cable box hooked to my AVR threw HDMI , I have a XPA-2 hooked up also . If I pull the XPA-2 off and put my XPA-3 on the noise is gone

perfect no problems , I put the XPA-2 on its back . I swaped L&R speaker wires on the back of the XPA-2 and the noise goes to the right speaker .

If i swap RCA cables only it stays in the left . I feel its a problem inside the XPA-2

You have narrowed it down about as far as you can without cracking open the XPA-2 and testing the circuitry. I wish I knew a little more about electronics, but at least you know which channel of the amp is causing this. It may be a simple as a cold solder or a bad ground screw on that side. It is my understanding that ground loops are manifested as a hum equal to the freguancy of the ground (60 hz). I may have that wrong, I am going from memory. I'd give Emotiva a call and see if they can help.

It didn't say that in their catalog. Note that they are talking above about digital signals and downconverted satellite feeds that are outside the 100 mHz - 1 gHz operating range of that device.