Replacing Caps in La Scalas.

ChadHahn

I have a pair of La Scalas with AA crossovers. According to the schematic the crossover takes 2 2uf and 1 13uf. I am thinking about using Clarity caps (unless there's something better:)) but they don't have anything exactly that value. Should I go a little over 2.2 and 15?

Thanks,

Chad

Best bet would be to parallel caps to get the values you need. For example, a 2.0uf cap in parallel with a .22 uf cap is as close as you can get to a 2.2uf cap.

IMO, If you decide not to parallel caps and want to use the rounding off method you are indicating, it is better to round down, than is is to round up on the 13uf cap. On the first 2.2uf cap it is also better to round down. On the second 2.2 uf cap, it is better to round up if you rounded down on the first 2.2uf cap.

Note. Rounding up on the 13uf cap will increase distortion and decrease power handling. Rounding up on the first 2.2uf cap will increase distortion and decrease power handling and create an need to modify the shunt inductor in the tweeter circuit that goes to ground....the inductor value would have to increase.

All the caps in the AA are in the signal path and should be of the highest quality. You can find cheaper and far more expensive.

I used to use Hovland Musicaps which are no longer made. My last Heresy rebuilds use Sonicaps. Both sound good!

Hoveland discontinued the Musicap and replaced it with the Supercap, which they claim is even better.

The
SuperCap - Robert Hovland Series
are polypropylene film-and-foil audio capacitors. These are an evolution of Robert Hovland's concept of high-performance capacitors intended for use in a wide range of audio applications.

Robert Hovland has worked to insure that the sonic signature is maintained throughout each of the voltage ratings, as discussed above, quite a rare feat.

Compared to the MusiCap® line of coupling capacitors with which Robert was heavily involved for over twenty years, this series embodies these achievements because of the dedication and commitment of one of the most famous audio designers in the world.

SuperCaps offer excellent performance/value. They can give the impression of hearing music through an "open window", and provide richness of emotion and detail, without sounding harsh or distracting.

These capacitors are made with the highest quality materials available, and are precision-made in the USA. The leads are 22 gauge fine strand silver-plated copper with PTFE (Teflon®) insulation.

What else do you get in the rebuild kit besides the caps? $87 seems kind of steep for 6 caps.

Chad

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebuild-Kit-Klipsch-Type-AA-Crossover-Network-Sonicaps-/370557591787?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5646f420eb

da_1.JPG

Sonicap 13uF capacitors are $20 each. The 2.0uF's are $7.40 each. In caps alone, that is $68. The zip ties and screw mount vinyl peices are not too expensive, say $5. That is $73. I think a markup of only 16% is very reasonable. Keep in mind, he is the person who puts all this together, and he is very well respected in the Klipsch community. IMO, if you are going to upgrade using Sonicaps, you should buy from him.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the AA crossovers in my Klipschorns. A few years ago I was on a budget and decided to go a little cheaper on caps to see if it made a difference. I used Jantzen Crosscaps for the 2.2's and a Dayton 5% on the 13 (I used a 12, because it was within 10%). Well, live and learn. I really believe in the Crosscaps because I recapped a set of Chorus I's with them, and they sound great. The big cap was bigger than the original circuit board of the entire crossover ... like maybe the size of a small coke can, so I mounted that cap seperately. They sound great and I don't plan to change anything. But the Klipschorns never sounded quite right. I started preferring the sound of the Chorus' over the Klipshcorn. So I bit the bullet and ordered Bob's kit and installed it yesterday. Well, I wish I had just done that from the start. They sound great and the difference isn't subtle.

I've heard mixing caps can be a bad idea, so who knows why they sounded "off". Your La Scalas are great speakers and deserve nice caps. Bob's caps are really great sounding and worth the money - you could spend more I guess, but just don't try to cheap it like I did. I learned my lesson the hard way.