Tuba HT folded horn subwoofer/Klipsch lascalas

HMassey

What opinions pro or con does anyone have about the Tuba HT, a big (36x36x24 inch) folded bass horn , by InfraCoustik, Authorized Builder for Bill Fitzmaurice Designs. I will be adding this to my pair of Lascalas, It has a Dayton 15" ht woofer, and I will be driving it with a KG5320 plate amp, any thoughts or opinions would appreciated

post-52144-13819666044776_thumb.jpg

I have a "tuba table" sub with mine and am very happy with how well it matches up. When you get the crossover set in the right place, 80htz for my room, the transition is seamless. It produces an astonishing amount of low bass, and the tuba HT will produce even more.[:P] I did need to get an EQ for mine. It had a couple of notes that tended to get boomy in my room that the EQ (a Behringer DEQ2496) took care of.

I built one and have a thread about in the sub section. I didn't know you could get them already built; that's great.

The only downside is the space it takes up. For best results you can't have it against the wall so this huge cube sits out into the room. Luckily for me it's using up space I couldn't use for seating. Tapped Horns are another way to go if you go DIY. They are much easier to build andcan be placed against walls and in corners.

The huge plus of the Tuba HT for me, apart from the earth shattering bass that comes out of it, is that it sounds exactly like Klipschorn bass. I can crossover my Klipschorns anywhere from 40 to 80 Hz and it sounds the same, so I choose according to room response rather than sound quality. There's no sub bouncing around the room at reference level, just clean authoritative bass. Prior to the THT, I would set the Klispchorns to large as music didn't sound quite right set to small using a Hsu sub.

I do EQ using a miniDSP which allows me to high-pass filter it as well. I measure the room with REW.

post-15702-13819666058586_thumb.jpg