Best upgrade

Joseph Dandeneau

Welcome fot the forum!

When receivers get old, sometimes they lose clarity. If your is sounding dull, perhaps that might be a nice way to go first. Some of the new receivers now have Pandora, and other things built in. It would be internet ready, and perhaps even have wifi.

If the receiver is holding up nicely, it would depend on which advent speakers you have. If they are small, I would think the addition of a powered subwoofer might be the next best thing.

What types of music do you listen to? What model Advent speakers are they?

If you can hook up a pair of Heresy's for around $300, I think you will be good for another year. A sub would definitely augment the bookshelf speakers you have if you stick with them. You might get $75 out of those Advents which would help toward the Heresy's. Where are you located?

If you have to do it in steps due to budget constraints, I would go:

1) front L/Rspeakers (sell the advents to add to the system budget)

2) subwoofer

3) receiver*

4) Bluray player

5) amp for the main speakers.

* The sub and receiver could be switched depending on your current receiver's capabilities. If your receiver has a sub out, then I would do the sub first. If it doesn't then maybe do the receiver first or use the speaker connections of the subwoofer until you can get a better receiver. The good thing is you could probably save money by going with a used receiver that's a year or two old to maximize on your budget and still get the features a brand new receiver would have.

Even though you didn't mention movie usuage, I mentioned a Bluray player for CD playback plus (obviously) tons of concerts on DVD and Bluray you can enjoy on the new rig as it nears completion. (Like completion ever happens in this hobby LOL!)

Hope this helps.

If you have to do it in steps due to budget constraints, I would go:

1) front L/Rspeakers (sell the advents to add to the system budget)

2) subwoofer

3) receiver*

4) Bluray player

5) amp for the main speakers.

* The sub and receiver could be switched depending on your current receiver's capabilities. If your receiver has a sub out, then I would do the sub first. If it doens't then mayube do the receiver first or use the speaker connections of the subwoofer until you can get a better receiver. The good thing is you could probably save money by going with a used receiver that's a year or two old to maximize on your budget and still get the features a brand new receiver would have.

Even though you didn't mention movie usuage, I mentioned a Bluray player for CD playback plus (obviously) tons of concerts on DVD and Bluray you can enjoy on the new rig as it nears completion. (Like completion ever happens in this hobby LOL!)

Hope this helps.

Good to see you Yesfan! [Y]

Dennie