Forte passive woofer replacement.

The Dude

When I had my Forte 1 passive woofer out to replace the caps in the crossover, I noticed that were the cone attaches to what I believe might be the voice coil, seems to be torn. Is it possible a local speaker repair shop would be able to replace the parts with some sort of generic parts or would it be better to replace it. If better to replace it what is a suitable replacement woofer and were could I obtain one.

Thanks

Nick

That picture is great thank you. What you have there is the spider comming loose from the cone. There are a number of ways that you can fix this and it`s not a big deal. The easiest for you to do would be to get some silicon seal or some latex bath caulking and a small soft spatula. Make a cotton fabric patch with some light cotton and use that as an overlay to provide strength. I cannot tell from your picture if the gap showing is because you are pushing on the cone or not. If the gap is there on its own then first make a small adhesive tag to draw the parts together, you may need to use something to push the cone into place so the edges of the spider line up. Let that adhesive tag set up and proceed when set. Work a small amount of adhesive into the fabric of the spider and work it to the point of contact between the spider and the cone and apply your cotton patch . If you apply a thin even layer about 1/16 of an inch thick over the area where the cloth is breaking down and apply your patch with finger pressure to smooth it down into place let that set and you should be good as new. Check your other passive to make sure it is not in the same condition. that`s all you need to do. Hope this helps best regards Moray James.