Klipsch Image One & extension = crappy sound

lyian

My roommate got a pair of Image One headphones from where he works. They sound great when plugged in directly to whatever device (computer mainly) however the cord is Way short. So he picked up a 3.5mm extension cable. The moment you plug in the cable, the sound quality goes to hell, sometimes even distorts it so bad you cant make out the audio.

Whats the deal? I tried two different extensions with it, same result. Why wont an extension work with it? Is there even an extension cable that WILL work with it?

I'm not sure your use case that the cable is too short, since these headphones are designed to be used with iPhones/iPods/iPads, they aren't meant to ever be more than a pock or arm's length away from you.

On to your question on extension cables. Anytime you add another connection between audio devices, you increase electrical resistance as well as the chance for EMI/RFI issues. If you use a high quality extension cable, you shouldn't have any issues. I have successfully done this.

Try something like these from Monoprice. 6ft Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 3.5mm Stereo Female 22AWG Extension Cable... http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021813&p_id=5587&seq=1&format=2 They are incredibly cheap ($1.69) and are well insulated (helps to prevent EMI/RFI) and gold-plated with 22 gauge cabling (helps to reduce the increase in resistance).

Worth noting, unless you can find a three conductor extension cable, you will lose the ability to use the Image One remote control.

My roommate got a pair of Image One headphones from where he works. They sound great when plugged in directly to whatever device (computer mainly) however the cord is Way short. So he picked up a 3.5mm extension cable. The moment you plug in the cable, the sound quality goes to hell, sometimes even distorts it so bad you cant make out the audio. Whats the deal? I tried two different extensions with it, same result. Why wont an extension work with it? Is there even an extension cable that WILL work with it?

I have Image ONEs and purchased a 12 ft. extension so i can wear them and sit on my couch and still watch stuff at a good volume after my wife and infant are asleep. I had the same issue when I first plugged everything in. I began checking the connections... I finally got it work by tinkering with the headphone male connection into the female extension connection. Instead of forcing this connection all the way in I relieved it just a click and the sound was perfect, just as if the Image ONEs were plugged directly into my reciever. Not sure if you are understanding what i'm saying it's kind of hard to describe.