Set of 72 Vertical Cornwalls - To modify or not to modify

hornertuber

Hey everyone, been lurking a long time, 1st time post. I usually get all the info I need just reading but I have a question I have been pondering over the past couple months.

About a year ago I picked up a set of 72 vert cornwalls. I originally disliked them driven by my onkyo but after picking up a 500c it was love. The networks are crites updated, the tweeters are crites as well. The k600 and original woofer are wrapped in dynamat to eliminate some resonating I was hearing. I kept all original parts.

I really enjoy the way they sound but find myself wanting a more open midrange. Do you guys think I should modify these past the point of no return by cutting in larger horns al a cornscalla or sell them and find/build a different set. Also I was reading about extending the lower baffle back slightly to lower the bass range. Still unsure if that holds water but its my only want for the bass on these. To go slightly lower...

The argument goes both ways in my opinion. The verts are somewhat rare so I am hesitant to alter them permanently but on the other side I have yet to see a set of vert cornscallas. So I supopose in their own right they would be pretty rare too. Verts are more desirable to me because in my studio apt they are set high and I believe the vert drivers help compensate for that.

Thanks for your opinions everyone.

J

Sounds Iike the mid range is preamp tubes and the bass is probally power tubes. what's the state of affairs in the amp?

I'm restoring the 500c, most caps are replaced, some electrolytics are left. New matched EH power tubes and mostly fishers in the pre amp sections.

These verts in the time I have owned them have been powered by the onkyo, couple t amps, marantz 2238b and my current fisher 500c. Nothing has come close to sounding as good with the cornwalls then the 500c.

Why dont you find a pair of Chorus ll and fit both the tweeter horn and the mid tractrix horn with Titanium diaphragms. Same woofer as a Cornwall better mid horn and much more bass extension than you are ever going to get out of a Cornwall. Remove the stock kick riser and get the Chorus ll up on four post stands so the bottom of the tweeter is about 38 -39 inches off the floor as this will allign your ears with the horns when seated. No point hacking up a vintage speaker when you are not likely to get it to do what you want it to. If you want more impact then look to a pair of KLF30 speakers and upgrade the horn diaphragms. That should get you where you want to be.. Best regards Moray James.