KSW12 Sub trouble

Kjoeller

Dear Klipsch People

I bought this KSW12

Subwoofer back in 2006, and it have worked just perfect ever since with HUGE

satisfaction :o) Now the Subwoofer when it turns ON from standby (or totally off),

it makes bad noises until it has been used for a while. When you look at the

woofer, it is slow-motion moving up and down when you look at it, and when I’m

turning the volume up and down. The noise sounds like a drummer playing on the

woofer with sticks. The noise disappears when the volume is at 0, but returns when

I turn the volume up (louder). It's not the Line In cables that makes the

trouble, whenever they are connected or disconnected, the sub makes these

noises! It makes no difference on the problem. Another Power cable doesn’t make

any difference either.

If I’m playing a CD, and

the sub turns ON from standby, the drummer noise is there and sounds terrible

but it still plays the music mixed with these "drummer" sounds. When I

turn the volume up High on my Amplifier where my stereo speakers are connected,

then the bad noise from the subwoofer disappears after a short while! Now the

problem is solved, until it sleeps overnight and I’m turning my stereo on the

next day.. Then I can turn it up loud to get the noise away and then it plays

perfectly again... but I’m not satisfied with that. I just don't know what's

wrong with my good looking Klipsch :o(

I've tried to change the

Fuse, but with no help. When i look at the amplifier inside, it looks perfect

and with no burned items. (I'm experienced in electronic, not beginner). All

cables inside and outside are connected probably. I’ve also tried to give the

volume buttons massage, but still with no help at all.

I really hope someone can help me.

Kind Regarts

Andreas from Denmark.

Please watch these Videoes I've recorded, so you can see and hear what I'm talking about.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7KZItp5bLw&feature=youtu.be

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKB-X7sc4hA&feature=youtu.be

Remember to turn your speakers up, for better listning.

After the records were made i touched the amplifiers heat sink, it was very hot and i couldn't hold my hand on it for more than two seconds!

Kind Regarts

Andreas from Denmark.

Thanks for the welcome and for your answer, well yes something must be wrong with the amp - but it still works, but makes these noises when it plays music.. It makes the noise when the input cables are connected and when they isen't connected.

If you mean Outlet i think about power outlet from the wall right? If so, yes i have tried three different outlets. No solution here.

• 1 month later...

I followed your links to Youtube & Facebook.Very helpful. I also own the same subwoofer, as do many fellow Klipsch Forum members. I am very interest in knowing which components you replaced in the amplifier, to return the subwoofer back to a functioning unit. Thank You.

Hello,

I do own the same subwoofer as you, but I have recently purchased a Klipsch SUB-12 to replace it. My KSW12 amplifier just gave it up in December. It appears after some preliminary checks that the amp is the cause of the problem. As you know from following the forum, Klipsch subwoofers have a propensity for amp failure. I am trying to gain some data on which components could be causing the failure. It would aid in the diagnostic procedure. Thank You.

Hi again

I've heard that the KSW12 amp could give up for a lot of customers. It's very sad then, because when it works it plays very good and fast for details in the soundfield. I'm a bit dissapointed of the forum in here, because i don't think Klipsch them selfs looks in here an give answers for customers troubles. It's better to throw away, than makes the products work again - i guess ;)

The electronic in the subwoofer appears to work fine, but a highly skilled ingeneer i've been in contact with thinks that this subwoofer builded from 1998 isen't that impressed of the amplifier quality inside the KSW12. That's the fact, but well - if it works, it does it good enough for purpose :)

- But i think that it's a good thing to know the trouth about the quality of the amplifier inside, because the subwoofer is a High End model builded in 1998. Generally Audio devices we buy isen't that complicated as we think it is :)

I would like to know, what settings have your ksw 12 been at trough the years when you use it? (Volume, Hz, Phase)

Before i say something specific i would like to see some pictures of your KSW12 amplifier. Maybe some other items on the amp is broke, so if you could upload som good pictures of it, i will take a closer look and help you from here.

Regarts Andreas

Hello again,

To answer your questions, the volume level stayed close to the 11o'clock setting, the Hz stayed in the 75 to 80 range and the phase setting worked better at 0. I would expect the internal components to be arranged in the same order as the ones depicted in your photo's. I was not trying to pry into any repair trade secrets. The discussion at todays roundtable centered on the idea of why waste time and expenditure on repairing a 10 year old amp that has failed and in probability will fail again, if not from same components, or others because of their age. It is looking like the better idea would be to install a new Bash digital hybrid 300 watt amplifier and move on from there. Hopefully your KSW12 will continue to function to your satisfaction. Thank You. [:D] [:D]

Hi again

When you say 11 o'clock i guess it's like looking at the watch and not volume 11 right?! Just to be sure :) If not the amplifier simply get's overheated! [N]

I've been using my Klipsch with both Left and Right line in terminals and with 3 - 4 on the volume settings - if more volume it simply says to much, but that depends on the room and so on.. your ear ;)

How did your ksw12 subwoofer gave up, are there noise in the bass sound it gives or dosen't it just not switch on? Maybe the problem is the power supply, you can easly mesure it with a voltage meter. I need more info in that [8-|]

I will prefer you to install foam into your sub, because they saved that away lot in the KSW models (i'm sure they still do in their newer). Only two sides of the cabinet inside is covered with foam. With foam all around the inside you'll get a nicer soft bass from your old ksw12 and you can adjust the volume settings lower and still get the same output from it. I prefer the Phase settings to 180 degrees because at the 0 degree settíng the bass kick's to much for my taste and it will be noise instead of delicious [Y]

The BASH ClassD amp dosen't fit in the KSW12 cabinet, i've just measured the with, hight and wide. So the cabinet will need to be modified by profesionals and drilled in the vinyl finish, so the amp will fit into the countersinking of the cabinet. It wouldn't look got installing the amp outside of the cabinet [:(]

What i mean was pictures of your amp inside of it. You have to move all the screws and unstall it from the cabinet. I would like to see if there's any worn out parts on the printboard [8-|]

Regarts Andreas

Hello again,

As stated earlier, I have replaced the KSW12 with a new SUB12. At this time the repair of the KSW12 is not high on the priority list. It may languish on the shelf for awhile before I take another look at it. When I get a chance to take another look at it, I will take your advise and others and then determine what to finally do with the KSW12. Hopefully your KSW12 will continue to function to your satisfaction. Thank You.

I just need some info about your exact ksw12 problem, so i know how to help you. I can't help with giving my repair without having these details, because my ksw12 did work before i started the problem shooting - there was just noise when it played! Now it's gone because of expert diagnosis with an engineer and parts replacement.

• Check Fuse
  • Check the Power supply
  • Check if the woofer works with a conncection to your stereo amplifier
  • Check or take pictures to me, when you have unstalled the amp so i can se how your print board looks
  • Check the contact Auto, Enable, Disable
  • All that kinds of stuff i need to know

I also hope it will function a lot of years from now, thank's for your concern about that [Y]

Regarts